This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4107 / 50°24'38"N
Longitude: -3.8119 / 3°48'43"W
OS Eastings: 271348
OS Northings: 58326
OS Grid: SX713583
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PQG9
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XY.SX1
Entry Name: Avon Villa the Parsonage
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101379
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
4/468 The Parsonage and Avon
Pair of attached house on the Black Hall (qv) estate, formerly known as Avon
Villas. Circa 1840 to 1845 (not depicted on the 1840 Black Hall estate map)
with later C19 alterations. Stone rubble plastered and blocked out. Asbestos
slate hipped roof with deep eaves. Rendered axial stacks.
Plan: pair of attached estate houses situated back-to-back, the entrances on
the east and west sides, the main facade on the south facing the road and the
kitchens in outshuts on the north side. The left hand west house (Parsonage)
has 2 principal rooms with an entrance passage between; the right hand east
house (Avon Villa) has 3 principal rooms, 2 of the rooms back to back with
those of the first house and the third room and entrance passage on the front
forming an L-shaped plan and a long facade to the south.
Exterior: South front, symmetrical 3 window range, C19 16-pane sashes; later
C19 or early C20 rectangular bay window at centre of the ground storey has a
hipped slate roof and a tripartite sash of 4:16:4 panes. The left hand west
return to the Parsonage has asymmetrical fenestration of C19 16-pane sash
windows to the left and a glazed and flush panel door at the centre with a
rectangular 4-pane overlight above; 2 storey lean-to to left with C19
casements; across the right hand of the ground floor an early C20
conservatory. The right hand east return has first floor early C19 16-pane
sash to right and doorway below with C19 glazed flush panel door and 4-pane
rectangular overlight and open porch with slender granite columns and
pilasters supporting a wooden entablature canopy with a moulded cornice; set
back to right of doorway. C19 16-pane sash on the ground and first floors;
C19 casements in the 2 storey lean-to to the right.
Interior: the plan is intact and most of the C19 joinery survives.
Listing NGR: SX7134858326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings