This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4517 / 50°27'6"N
Longitude: -3.6947 / 3°41'41"W
OS Eastings: 279780
OS Northings: 62694
OS Grid: SX797626
Mapcode National: GBR QL.KY7N
Mapcode Global: FRA 374V.QDW
Entry Name: Tower of Former Church of St Mary Immediately West of Dartington Hall
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Last Amended: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101034
Location: Dartington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX7862-SX7962 DARTINGTON HALL
12/121 Tower of Former Church of
St Mary immediately W of
Dartington Hall (formerly
listed as Tower of Old
Former parish church tower. Probably C13. The top stage is probably C15.
The rest of the church was demolished in circa 1878 and some of the
material reused in the new Church of St Mary (qv) of 1878-80 by J L Pearson
situated about 1200 metres to the west.
Rendered stone rubble with granite coping and string course. Square on
plan unbuttressed west tower with slight batter. Tall first stage; string
courses at the bell-stage and below the parapet which has moulded
battlements. 3-light square-headed bell openings on east and north sides.
2-light 4-centred arch head openings on the south and west sides. Granite
3-light 2-centred arch west window with Early English lancet tracery.
Moulded granite 2-centred arch west doorway. Stair turret on the east end
if the north side is square on plan with a splayed north west corner,
battlements and slit windows and a 2 centred arch doorway on the east side
at the base of the turret. The east side of the tower has a tall 2-centred
tower arch, now blocked with rubble, the arch has cement mouldings. Slate
sundial on the south side with an iron gnomon.
Interior: on the north side a large monument to Sir Arthur Champernowne
died 1578 with fluted pilasters and a later entablature with a neo-
classical frieze, the inscription on the panel has been painted over; below
the panel in relief are figures in prayer standing and kneeling; the
pedestal below has panels with armorial bearings and terms supporting the
cornice. On the east wall a monument to Henry Champernowne died 1650, and
aedicule flanked by Ionic columns with an entablature with obelisks and
arms above. Another monument to Rawlin Champernowne, above. 3 other
monuments on the south wall.
The church was possibly founded by the Fitzmartins in the C13 as a rural
oratory on their manor. Sir Nicholas Fitzmartin was the patron on the
first rector in 1261.
In 1849 the church is described as having a chancel, 2 chantries, nave,
north and south aisles, south porch land western tower - Exeter Diocesan
Architectural Society, 1949 volume 3 page 156. Cresswell states that when
the church was restored in 1852 the foundations of an earlier transepted
church were revealed under the floor showing the old churches plan to be;
nave, transepts, chancel and west tower. To this early church the lower
stage of the tower seems to belong. The upper stage of the tower may have
been added in the C15. The aisles were also added in the C15 by the
Holands Dukes of Exeter.
Kebble and Newman both preached here (in 1831?) when staying at the
parsonage, now old Postern (qv).
Beatrix F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Totnes.
Listing NGR: SX7978062693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings