This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4856 / 52°29'8"N
Longitude: -1.8988 / 1°53'55"W
OS Eastings: 406966
OS Northings: 287522
OS Grid: SP069875
Mapcode National: GBR 606.MW
Mapcode Global: VH9YX.1SJF
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Last Amended: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217553
Location: Birmingham, B4
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 0687 NE 25/12
ST CHAD'S QUEENSWAY
City Centre (B4)
Cathedral Church of St Chad
(Formerly listed as the Metropolitan Cathderal Church of St Chad under Bath Street)
Roman Catholic. 1839-41, by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin but very much mutilated both in itself and in its setting. Red brick; slate roof. In a C14 German style with a short chancel with flanking small north Lady Chapel and south vestries, an aisled nave apparently with shallow transepts, a north baptistery with stairs down to the crypt below and a north-west chapel of 1933 and 2 thin west towers with needle spires. Arcade of 5 bays with immensely tallslender clustered shafts; a sixth, taller and broader bay marks the 'crossing', Modern west gallery with organ. Their steeply pitched timber roof embracing nave and aisles and suggesting a crossing by means of lateral hips. Tall 2-light windows to chancel and nave. The furnishings now mostly gone. The concave-sided hexagonal pulpit with statuettes of Doctors of the Church is a piece made by Pugin from one of circa 1520 obtained probably from St Gertrude's Abbey, Louvain. The Archbishop's Throne and the stalls incorporate late C15 carved woodwork from St Mary in Capitol, Cologne. Still surviving some of Pugin's stained glass made circa 1845 by W Warrington and there is other glass by Hardman and Co of circa 1865. Also by Hardman and Co, brass to the Rev John More +1856; he stands but has a pillow behind his head. In the crypt only the arch of the easternmost chapel now has any of Pugin's painted patterning. In the crypt, too, monument to Bishop William Ullathorne OSB+1889. He lies in episcopal vestments with, on the wall behind him, a large painted tablet showing him being presented to the Virgin and Child by St Bernard and an angel.
Listing NGR: SP0696687522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings