This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8227 / 51°49'21"N
Longitude: 0.7969 / 0°47'48"E
OS Eastings: 592851
OS Northings: 217480
OS Grid: TL928174
Mapcode National: GBR RMG.Q9C
Mapcode Global: VHKG9.RGN3
Entry Name: Layer Marney Tower
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419935
Location: Layer Marney, Colchester, Essex, CO5
Parish: Layer Marney
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Layer Marney
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
LAYER MARNEY WICK ROAD
Layer Marney Tower
TL 91 NW 16/33 23.6.52
The gatehouse and remaining wings of a great early Cl6 house which was never
completed. It was begun by the first Lord Marney who died in 1523 and his
son in 1524. There has been some C20 restoration and a few small additions.
The gatehouse is a remarkable and very fine example of early renaissance work
and ornament. The King's Italian architect, Guialamo de Travizi, is said to
have designed the building. It stands 80 ft high, built in red brick with
terracotta dressings and diapering in flared headers. There are 3 storeys
and on the south side Flanking seni-octagonal turrets of 8 storeys with subsidiary
turrets of 7 storeys on the north side, square turrets. There is much fine
original detail in the windows, parapets and bands of cusped panelling. The
small west ring is of 2 storeys and attics, roofs tiled, and with windows and
detail similar to that of the gatehouse but more restored, Small modern north
wing. Original part of wing has a moulded band between the storeys and a number
of original windows. This wing forms the north side of the outer courtyard.
A barn, largely rebuilt, incorporating C13 material is on the east side The
long gallery forms-the south side, 2 storeys in red brick with diapering in
flared headers, and a number of original doorways and windows. The south side
is divided into 8 bays by buttresses. The west end has a crow stepped gable.
Internally the main block retains many original doorways with moulded or chamfered
jambs and four centred arches. The eastern room of the west wing has a fireplace
made of original moulded oak jambs and four centred. head. Extensive C16 panelling
Re-set original terracotta fireplace in modern wing, has Corinthian pilasters,
acanthus consoles and enriched entablature. Numerous other original fireplaces.
Original plaster ceilings with moulded ribs, one forming a geometrical pattern
and the other a pattern of intersecting lines.
Listing NGR: TL9285117480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings