Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.991 / 51°59'27"N
Longitude: -2.9521 / 2°57'7"W
OS Eastings: 334719
OS Northings: 232936
OS Grid: SO347329
Mapcode National: GBR F8.JNCT
Mapcode Global: VH78G.S760
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Location: Newton, County of Herefordshire, HR2
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Listing Date: 12 November 1984
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420578
Source ID: 1224502
SO 33 SW NEWTON CP -
4/83 Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church. Consecrated 1844, founded by John Powell (local notable) but
presumably replacing earlier church. Coursed rubble, slate roof. Simple
unacademic Gothic style reflecting C18 patterns. Chance of one bay, 3-bay
nave, 2-stage crenellated west tower. Nave and slightly narrower chancel
under continuous roof. Three-light east window with depressed arch to centre
light; to nave windows have diamond pattern glazing. Pointed arch entry to
west. Interior: east window has stained glass of 1869. In nave, old fashioned
stove retained (by G Portway and Son, Halsted, Essex) with motto "Slow but Sure";
Royal Arms of George III; Commandment and Pater boards on west wall. For font
(C13) and pulpit (Jacobean) see RCHM. Also G J Tuck.
Listing NGR: SO3471932936
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings