Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3407 / 51°20'26"N
Longitude: 1.2708 / 1°16'15"E
OS Eastings: 627904
OS Northings: 165254
OS Grid: TR279652
Mapcode National: GBR VYW.XT4
Mapcode Global: VHLGB.ZK6L
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
Location: Monkton, Thanet, Kent, CT12
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420934
Source ID: 1224791
MONKTON MONKTON STREET
TR 26 NE
1/68 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Late C12, reduced in size and altered C15. Flint and
rubble in part rendered, and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with
north porch and west tower. Three stage west tower with lancets,
some blocked, those in upper stage with trecusped heads. Heavily eroded
west doorway with hood mould. Exposed jambs in nave north wall and 1
bay only on south wall of demolished arcading. North porch restored
C19. C15 fenestration, with 3 light east window with quatrefoiled
heads. Interior: evidence of demolished 5 bay north arcade. Roof of 4
crown posts in nave, and double rebated pointed tower arch with moulded
abaci. Pointed chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds with
scalloped capitals and spurred bases. Octagonal corbels (for rood beam?)
on responds (blocked rood loft door to right of chancel arch in nave).
Roof of 2 crown posts in chancel. Fitting: piscina in chancel, low in
wall, round arched head. Water stoup by nave north door. Fine iron
wall safe in nave south wall. Pulpit, early C17, pentagonal on column,
with arcaded panels, heavily enriched with arabesques, with modillion
cornice, Fleur-de-lys marquetry panels and cock's head hinge to door.
C18 octagonal marble font. Brasses: 36½ in. figure of Priest in nave,
c. 1460. Palimpsest inscription on Flemish brass dated 1503 with part
of priest's robes. Monuments: Francis Blechynden, d.1611, alabaster
wall plaque, with enriched side pieces. Thomas Denne, e.C19, wall
monument with large draped sarcophagus, signed Longley (Canterbury).
Lozenge-shaped painted coat of arms. Early C20 wall clock, heavily
ornamented surround. (See BOE Kent II, 1983, 398.)
Listing NGR: TR2845965170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings