History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Staveley-in-Cartmel, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2653 / 54°15'55"N

Longitude: -2.9543 / 2°57'15"W

OS Eastings: 337939

OS Northings: 485934

OS Grid: SD379859

Mapcode National: GBR 7MT3.6S

Mapcode Global: WH835.L1DZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225679

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422155

Location: Staveley-in-Cartmel, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Parish: Staveley-in-Cartmel

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Staveley-in-Cartmel St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Listing Text

STAVELELY-IN-CAitTMEL STAVELEY
SD 38 NE
7/97
Church of St Mary
25.3.70
G.V. II

Church. A church in existence 1618, repaired 1678 (plaque to east end), south
aisle and tower possibly 1793; restored 1897 by Austin and Paley. Stone rubble,
south side slate-hung, with slate roofs. Single vessel nave and chancel with
west tower and gabled south aisle and lean-to vestry to south of tower. Tower
has pointed entrance with continuous mouldings and straight-headed window of
2 cusped lights above, possibly C19. Bell stage has band under, and paired
round-headed bell openings in ashlar surrounds with louvres. Projecting
embattled parapet has simple crocketed pinnacles. Clock face to north; vestry
to south has casement window and roughcast to tower above, with lead
dripcourse. North side irregularly placed windows of 2 round-headed lights of
varying heights, that to east end has inscription: "EX DONO THO: PRESTON
AR/1678" to head. South side has similar 2-light windows, regularly placed.
East end has coped gables, chancel cross. Window of 2 ogee-headed lights to
north aisle; chancel has 3-light window with simple uncusped tracery based on
Gothic models. Plaque above records repair of church by W. Robinson and
T. Barwick in 1678. Interior has arcade of arch-braced timber posts. Nave roof
of arch braced collar trusses with turned kingposts and 2 tiers of wind braces;
aisle roof simpler, with arch braced collars; all C19. Double-chamfered tower
arch dying into jambs. Simple octagonal font; timber pulpit with rectangular
tracery panels, similar panels to stalls; altar rail with turned balusters, all
C19. Organ in east end of aisle. Copper plaque recording restoration of 1896-7
on south wall. Vestry has 2 ogee panels painted with head of crucified Christ
and 3 cherubs.


Listing NGR: SD3793985934

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.