This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0607 / 52°3'38"N
Longitude: -2.218 / 2°13'4"W
OS Eastings: 385151
OS Northings: 240277
OS Grid: SO851402
Mapcode National: GBR 1HP.Q25
Mapcode Global: VH93D.HGSM
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1227107
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424719
Location: Upton-upon-Severn, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR8
District: Malvern Hills
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Upton-on-Severn
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
UPTON-UPON-SEVERN OLD STREET
2/100 (east side)
25.3.68 Parish Church of
Saint Peter and
1878-9 by Sir A W Blomfield for G E Martin of Ham Court. An imposing church with a
landmark spire. Yellow rock-faced Stanway stone with Bath stone dressings. Nave,
aisles, chancel, N chapel and SE vestry/organ loft. NW 3-stage tower with 1831 broach
spire. Decorated style. Five bay nave with octagonal piers and paired clerestory
lights. Five light east window, 4 light west window.
Tie beam and collar nave roof with crown posts and arched bracing to purlins from
queen struts. Ceiled chancel roof, partly painted by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1884.
Elaborately carved sedilion and piscina in south chancel wall.
Significant fittings include carved stone and alabaster reredos c1880, iron and bronze
Arts and Crafts type altar rails 1907 by Nelson Dawson, timber chancel screen moved to
west end of nave and stone font c1880.
Fine west window c1906 by Christopher Whall, good east window, c1884, Heaton Butler
and Bayne, poor nave glass 1899-1902.
From previous church, C18 font in N chapel, marble wall plaque to Mary Bramley d. 1737
in N aisle and other, plain, wall plaques. C14 mutilated effigy of a knight broken
and lost in 1757, rediscovered 1834. Said to be one of the Bateler family.
Building News. 35. 1879. 558.
Listing NGR: SO8515140277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings