This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9204 / 52°55'13"N
Longitude: -1.4763 / 1°28'34"W
OS Eastings: 435308
OS Northings: 336015
OS Grid: SK353360
Mapcode National: GBR PKG.HG
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.9V7J
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and Attached Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 June 1952
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1229224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404031
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Unitary Authority Ward: Arboretum
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Derby St Peter and Christ Church with Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 3536 ST PETER'S CHURCHYARD
893/1/257 Church of St Peter and
attached boundary walls
Church with adjoining church hall and boundary walls. C12, C14 and early C16. Chancel restored 1851-53 by GG Place, and remainder 1859 by GE Street. South porch removed, organ chamber added to north aisle, and vestry rebuilt, 1865. Boundary walls mid/late C19. Nave west end extended, and west tower rebuilt, 1898. Church hall added 1970. Chancel, vestry, nave with aisles and organ chamber, west tower, church hall. Crenellated parapets to nave, chancel and tower, coped parapets to aisles. Chancel, 3 bays, buttressed throughout, has 5-light east window, C16, with panel tracery and hood mould. On each side, a restored segment headed Perpendicular style window, 3 lights. South side has to west, two 3-light pointed arched windows with Decorated tracery and hood moulds. North side has lean-to vestry, 2 storeys, remodelled C19, with angle buttresses. At the east end, a 2-light window on each floor, flat headed below and segmental pointed above, with Decorated tracery. Nave clerestory has on each side 4 pointed arched windows, 3 lights, with cusped heads. South aisle, 4 bays has buttresses. To east a 5-light window, and to south, 3 similar windows, all with renewed reticulated tracery and hood moulds. South doorway has roll-moulded surround with shafts, 3 orders, and hood mould. North aisle has integral organ chamber at east end, 1865, and additional bay at west end, 1898. Buttressed. 5 bays. East end has small shouldered doorway. North side has off-centre flat roofed porch with moulded pointed arched doorway, flanked to left by two 4-light pointed arched windows, 4 lights, in chamfered surrounds. To west, and at the west end, 2 similar windows. West tower, 3 stages, has clasping buttresses to the second stage, and angle buttresses above, topped with pinnacles. To north, pointed arched doorway with triple chamfered surround and hood mould. T o west, pointed arched window, 4 lights, with Decorated tracery. The remainder of the lower stage is covered by the church hall. At the SW corner, a canted stair turret. Middle stage has loops, and clock to west. Bell stage has on each side paired 2-light bell openings flanked and divided by pilaster strips. Inset clock face to east. Church hall, stone faced, 2 storeys, has mainly open ground floor on square concrete piers. West side has a 4-light window. South side has glazed screens and doors to ground floor, and first floor wholly glazed on south side. Adjoining boundary walls, C19, enclose the north and east sides. Ashlar, with chamfered plinth and gabled coping topped with roll mould. East side has a pair of square gatepiers, topped with octagonal squat pinnacles. North side has plain openings, late C19.
INTERIOR: Chancel, rendered, has moulded pointed arch without responds. Low-pitched king post roof, possibly C18. Wooden panelling and reredos, early C20. East end has C19 iron and brass altar rail. East window has stained glass, 1858, by Barber of York. North side has a pointed arched doorway flanked to west by a pointed arched opening with Decorated tracery containing a stained glass panel and organ pipes. To east, a squint, C14, a C19 piscinal, and a stained glass window, c1889. South side has a C14 cusped piscinal on a foliage bracket, and a C19wooden sedilia. Stained glass eastern window by Jones &Willis, c1893, and 2 stained glass windows, 1889 and 1888. Vestry has on the ground floor an incomplete stone spiral stair, and above, corbels and brackets to former eaves. Splayed opening to squint. C19 roof, shouldered corner fireplace, and fittings. Nave has plain low pitched king post roof, possibly C18. South arcade, 4 bays, has octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches. East and west responds have remains of scallop capitals. North arcade, 4 bays, has round piers renewed 1859, and double chamfered arches. East respond has remains of a scallop capital. West end has pointed tower arch with triple roll moulding. Under the tower, C19 doorway to bell chamber, and plain opening into church hall. South aisle has lean-to roof, mainly original, w. arch braces and wall shafts on corbels. South side has cusped piscinal to east, and glaz internal porch to west, dated 1911. West end has blocked 2-light pointed arched wind. North aisle has renewed roof. Segmental pointed arched north doorway, and pointed a hed opening at east end, with organ pipes corbelled out over C19 traceried double doors.
FITTINGS: Traceried oak stalls and desks with misericords nd open benches, all C19. Panelled octagonal stone pulpit by Street,1859, raised in alabas r 1923, with iron and brass handrail. Octagonal stone font with marble shafts and panels ith angels around the bowl, C19. Large brass eagle lectern, 1909. Benefactions board, late 19.
Listing NGR: SK3530836015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.