Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8599 / 50°51'35"N
Longitude: -0.7109 / 0°42'39"W
OS Eastings: 490826
OS Northings: 107506
OS Grid: SU908075
Mapcode National: GBR DGP.13B
Mapcode Global: FRA 96DT.NVZ
Entry Name: The Priory Church of St Mary and St Blaize
Location: Boxgrove, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Listing Date: 5 June 1958
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300674
Source ID: 1230005
BOXGROVE CHURCH LANE
SU 90 NW
14/32 The Priory Church of
St Mary & St Blaize
Founded about 1117. Built of flint with Lavant stone, Purbeck marble and Caen stone rubble dressings. Tiled roof. Of the cruciform church there survives the chancel with aisles, the central tower, the north and south transepts, the easternmost bay of the nave and the south porch. Most of this is from the original C12 building, but
the chancel is C13. Flying buttresses. The porch is C14. The main part of
the nave was demolished in the C18. At the north west corner of the north
transept are the remains of three round-headed C12 arches of the former
cloister of the Priory. Perpendicular font and De la Warn Chantry c.1526.
[One of the finest medieval churches in Sussex.]
Listing NGR: SU9082207503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings