History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Himley, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5177 / 52°31'3"N

Longitude: -2.1739 / 2°10'26"W

OS Eastings: 388296

OS Northings: 291109

OS Grid: SO882911

Mapcode National: GBR 42B.9V

Mapcode Global: VH913.8ZL8

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Location: Himley, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DY3

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Parish: Himley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Listing Date: 27 June 1963

Last Amended: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405806

Source ID: 1230776

Listing Text

HIMLEY C.P. DUDLEY ROAD (north
SO 89 SE
side)
5/55 Church of St. Michael
(formerly listed as Church
27.6.63 of St Michael Arch Angel)
GV II
Parish church. Dated 1764. Cement rendered and lined as ashlar; plain tile
roof with coped verges. West tower, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel, south-
east vestry. Simple classical building;most of the windows have keyed semi-
circular arches springing from imposts and,leaded lights. West tower of 4
stages marked by bands, with coved parapet band and plain parapet. West door
with raised key. Windows of the upper 2 stages are louvred. Datestone over
west window of second stage. Nave and chancel: pilaster strips at the
corners and at division of nave and chancel. Canted east window projection
with hipped roof; pedimented gable to vestry. Interior. Panelled and
gracefully curved west gallery on slim iron columns. It is reached by a stair-
case with stick balusters. Fittings. C19 stone font with hexagonal basin
on cylindrical pedestal with stiff leaf capital. C18 wooden pulpit, square-
with panelled sides. Brass angel lectern of 1894. Simple classical rood
screen, and communion rail, both with turned balusters. Monument. Vis-
countess Ednam, 1930, by Sir W. Reid Dick; statue of a young woman carrying
a child on her shoulder. Stained glass. east window depicting Jesus the
good shepherd,after 1903. B.O.E. p. 147.


Listing NGR: SO8829691109

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.