History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Ruins of Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Mary in the Marsh, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9952 / 50°59'42"N

Longitude: 0.919 / 0°55'8"E

OS Eastings: 604933

OS Northings: 125810

OS Grid: TR049258

Mapcode National: GBR T00.K56

Mapcode Global: FRA D6TH.1VT

Entry Name: Ruins of Church of All Saints

Location: St. Mary in the Marsh, Shepway, Kent, TN29

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Parish: St. Mary in the Marsh

Locality: St Mary in the Marsh

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Date: 9 June 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175567

Source ID: 1231591

Listing Text

TR 049 258 ST MARY IN THE MARSH HOPE

6/107 Ruins of Church of
All Saints
9.6.59
II

Ruins of parish church. Medieval (said to be C12-C13). Small slabs of
roughly coursed stone interspersed with large flints. A few ashlared
quoins. Continuous nave and chancel. No visible plinth. West end of
nave and north and south return walls remain in form of two L-shaped blocks
about 15 feet high and 7 to 10 feet long in either direction, separated by a
now featureless gap. Another block of similar dimensions about 75 feet to east
marking south-east corner of chancel. 3 small blocks about 5 feet high; one
part of east gable end, one, possibly remains of chancel arch, with ashlared
quoins, within body of church on north side towards east end, and one to south
wall opposite. Linked by foundations. Parish of Hope All saints was
incorporated in the parish of St Mary in the Marsh in 1934. The church had
fallen into decay by 1573 and into ruins by mid C17 (M.H.L.G. Romney Marsh
Rural District Provisional List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic
Interest, 1956).


Listing NGR: TR0669627125

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.