History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Lavington Park seaford College

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Lavington, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9386 / 50°56'18"N

Longitude: -0.6553 / 0°39'18"W

OS Eastings: 494581

OS Northings: 116321

OS Grid: SU945163

Mapcode National: GBR FH3.34T

Mapcode Global: FRA 96JM.DK7

Entry Name: Lavington Park seaford College

Location: East Lavington, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Parish: East Lavington

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301700

Source ID: 1232490

Listing Text


SU 91 NW EAST LAVINGTON BEECHWOOD LANE
18/2 Lavington Park
18.6.59 (Seaford College)
II*
Half H-shaped house. The original portion of this house comprises the east wing
and the centre portion, originally the service wing. This was built for John
Sargent, MP. Elizabethan house built by the Garton family, from whom Mrs Sargent
had inherited the property through the female line. Architect James Lewis. After
the death of Mrs Sargent in 1841 the house was inherited by Samuel Wilberforce
who was Bishop of Oxford from 1845-69 and Bishop of Winchester from 1869-73 and
who in 1828 had married her eldest grandaughter Emily. He resided there at
intervals from 1845 until his death in 1873, and his son after him. In 1903 the
house was considerably enlarged by Lord Woolavington, when the west wing was added
balancing and nearly matching the east wing and the centre portion altered.
Architect Detmar Blow. The house is of 2 storeys, attic and basement. White brick.
Balustraded parapet. Hipped slate roof. Glazing bars intact. The south front
facing the Downs has 15 windows and 11 dormers. Of these, the 5 easternmost window
bays constitute the 1794 wing. The 3 centre window bays of this project slightly
with solid portion in the centre of the balustrade above containing a cartouche
and a wide central porch with 4 Ionic columns and a pediment over. This wing of
1794 has been reproduced at the west end in 1903 complete with a matching porch,
and between the two is a recessed secton of 5 windows. The west front has 5 windows
and 5 dormers. On the north front facing the Weald the projection of the wings
of 1794 and 1903 is much deeper. The original wing has 7 windows, 3 dormers and
2 curved bays on ground and first floors which have Venetian windows on the curve
on the ground floor, also a curved bay in the centre of the west wall. The recessed
portion has 5 windows and 5 dormers and a porch with pediment over, added in 1903,
which is now the main entrance of the house. The west wing added in 1903, is
practically identical with the original wing.


Listing NGR: SU9458116321

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.