Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0841 / 52°5'2"N
Longitude: 0.6442 / 0°38'39"E
OS Eastings: 581272
OS Northings: 246162
OS Grid: TL812461
Mapcode National: GBR QGV.7PG
Mapcode Global: VHJHF.3WX5
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory and St George
Location: Pentlow, Braintree, Essex, CO10
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Listing Date: 21 June 1962
Last Amended: 17 May 1984
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408058
Source ID: 1232662
TL 84 NW PENTLOW PENTLOW LANE
2/204 Church of St. Gregory
21.6.62 & St George
(formerly listed as
Church of St George)
Parish Church. C12 with later alterations including circa 1886 restorations.
One of six round towered churches in Essex. Flint rubble, stone dressed. North
Chapel rebuilt late C16 of rendered brick with crow stepped gables. C19
restorations when the south porch was added. Early C14 crenellated west tower.
Red plain roofs. Chancel terminates in a semi-circular apse. C19/20 east
window of 2 ogee lights with tracery over. C14 splays and rear arch. North
wall late C16 4 centred arch of double chamfered order with chamfered responds.
South wall 2 restored C14 2 light windows with pointed heads. Between them is a
doorway, C19/20 with chamfered jambs and 2 centre arch. C15 Chancel arch is 2
centred of 2 moulded order with attached moulded and crenellated shafts. West
face with moulded label and carved head at apex. C19/20 stops. Nave North
wall has 2 windows matching those in South wall of Chancel. Between them is the
C19/20 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2 centred arch over which are signs of
the original Norman arch. To the East there is a C19/20 3 light window with
flat head. South wall with two 2 light windows in 2 centred heads, one is
C19/20 the other C14 restored and a 3 light round headed window with flat label
over. South doorway matches N doorway. In the west wall is a C12 doorway of 2
orders, the outer moulded the inner plain. At the apex is a stone carved
muzzled bear. Jambs with circular attached shafts with scalloped and carved
capitals, square carved abacus and moulded base. The North East angle is
splayed and may contain a staircase to the former rood loft. North Chancel
East wall C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery over in a 2 centred
head. Circa 1600 north window of 3 four centred lights under a square head.
Circa 1600 doorway with moulded 4 centred arch. West Tower, ground floor North
and South small restored wind eyes west C19/20 restored 2 light window in 2-
centred head with label. First floor 3 rectangular windows. Bell Turret.
Facing North, East, and West are restored early C14 windows of 2 lights in 2
centred heads. Facing South is a restored C14 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights
under a 2-centred head. C19 South porch has a 4 centred doorway, moulded label
and face stops. Cross below apex. 2 light windows with pointed heads to East
and West walls. Internally C19 7 cant Nave roof, with moulded wall plates and 2
crenellated tie beams matching Chancel roof but with one tie beam and a King
post. South West window inserted as a memorial after 1914-18 War. Piscina C14
with trefoiled head. Niches in North Chapel over North doorway in Nave in North
wall with rounded back and pointed head. 2 in South wall, one with round head
one obtuse triangular head. All possibly C16. Stoup in Nave - plain of
uncertain date. Monuments In Chancel. Table tomb. Panels with shields to
panels of Edward Felton dcd 1542 and his wife Frances. In North Chapel a very
fine altar tomb with recumbent effigies of Judge George Kempe, 1606, John Kempe
his son 1609 and Elinore (Drewe) his wife, the men in furred robes and the
woman in ruff and elaborate head-dress. On south side, 10 kneeling daughters in
dresses and ruffs and 4 kneeling sons wearing cloaks. The North Chapel roof has
billet ornament to wall plate and a fine barrel vaulted moulded ceiling c1600.
Floor slab John and Katherine Kempe 1739. Communion Table C17 with turned legs
and moulded upper rails. Communion rails. C17/18 with twisted balusters and
moulded rails. Similar balusters re-used in C19/20 stalls. Font Early C12.
Square with attached corner shafts, moulded bases and scalloped capitals.
Elaborately carved interlaced ornamentation to 3 sides. Fourth side probably
carved but now against wall, on a square C19/C20 flint base. Font Cover Spire
shaped with 7 sides exposed. Traceried and crocketed panels divided by
pinnacles and buttresses. 3 lower panels made to open. Restored, originally
C15. Chest Plain, with curved lid. Iron bound. Probably C16. Glass Chancel
East window C14. Pulpit Circa 1889 with ogee tracery. Hatchments 2 in Nave
and 1 in South Chapel. Bells One by John Thornton 1711, two 1665, one 1635
and one 1628. These 4 by Miles Gray. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL8127246162
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings