This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0194 / 52°1'9"N
Longitude: -0.9054 / 0°54'19"W
OS Eastings: 475210
OS Northings: 236234
OS Grid: SP752362
Mapcode National: GBR BYY.CXB
Mapcode Global: VHDT4.8H6R
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408201
Location: Thornton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Thornton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton with Nash
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 73 NE THORNTON
4/176 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. C14, N. aisle rebuilt and church restored 1850. Nave,
aisles, W. tower; chancel demolished 1780 when interior of church
refurnished. Coursed rubble stone, lead roofs. W. tower of three
stages with diagonal buttresses to lower stage, small cusped lancets
to second stage and 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber;
battlemented parapet, gargoyles, wrought iron weather vane in form of
key. W. side has three steps to hollow chamfered arched doorway
under label with worn carved head stops, 2-light Decorated window above.
Nave has parapet to S. wall with blind tracery ornament, no clerestory.
Aisles have crude battlements to E. and W. and three bays of 2-light
Decorated windows with ogee tracery. C19 3-light Decorated E. window
with reticulated tracery. Interor: Nave of four bays has double
chamfered arcade on octagonal piers with moulded caps. Flat plaster
ceiling with Gothick cornice, black and white marble paving. C14
chancel arch incorporated in E. wall. Fittings of c.1780 include box
pews in aisles and double-decker pulpit in E. bay of N. aisle.
W. gallery has pointed arched panels. Some C19 glass. Monuments:
recumbent alabaster effigies to John Barton and wife, mid C15. flanking
entry to nave. Re-assembled monument in centre of nave to Robert
Ingylton and three wives 1472: re-assembled stone tomb chest with
ogee niches and figures; fine brass of frour figures and 16 children
under elaborate canopy of four ogee arches with crockets and finials.
Brass to Jane Ingleton 1557 in E. bay of nave.
RCHM II pp 298-9
Listing NGR: SP7521236235
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings