This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9358 / 52°56'8"N
Longitude: -1.5292 / 1°31'45"W
OS Eastings: 431738
OS Northings: 337705
OS Grid: SK317377
Mapcode National: GBR P58.XY
Mapcode Global: WHCFN.HG0P
Entry Name: The Old School and Attached Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 14 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408656
Location: Mackworth, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE22
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Mackworth
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Mackworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
In the entry for
SK 33 NW MACKWORTH LOWER ROAD
1039- /6/10002 The Old School and attached
Former village school, now hall, and attached boundary wall. c.1860, by William Mundy. Red
brick, laid to Flemish bond, with decorative blue brick banding, and stone dressings to window
openings. Tiled roof covering with alternating bands of plain red and blue fish-scale tiles, and
dentilled verges. Simple Gothic style. Asymmetrical plan, with tall principal range aligned
east-west, lower hipped-roofed wing to front, and plain 'T' shape service range to rear, linked
to enclosure wall. FRONT ELEVATION; tall 3-bay main range, rising from a shallow plinth.
At either end, a gabled 2-light pointed arched window with stone cill, mullions and transoms,
with cusped heads to lights and splayed head to mullion, giving a 'Y'-traceried effect. To the
centre, a wider 3-light window, similarly detailed. Paired blue brick bands above cill level and
at eaves level, a single band carried around pointed heads to windows. Left of centre, advanced
hipped roofed wing with 2 flat-headed 2-light mullioned windows to hip wall, and opposed
pointed arched doorways to front and rear walls. 3-light window to right(east) gable, 2-light
window to left. REAR ELEVATION: Blind rear wall, with low 'T' plan service wing linking
school and enclosure wall. INTERIOR; 2-bay part to right open to roof with exposed
scissor-braced common rafter roof. Corbelled fireplace with sloping brick hood to front wall
(external stack now removed). Internal partition wall with wide, shallow pointed arch, panelled
partition incorporating double doors. Inserted C20 ceiling in single bay room beyond partition.
Attached boundary wall, approx. 1 metre high with stone and blue clay copings. Square
entrance gatepiers with gabled ashlar caps, and boarded gate. A near complete and unaltered
example ofa mid-C19 school, characteristic, in terms of its design and in the accommodation
provided, of educational provision at parish level throughout England between 1840 and the
Elementary Education Act of 1870.
Listing NGR: SK3173837705
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings