This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0128 / 51°0'46"N
Longitude: 0.4539 / 0°27'14"E
OS Eastings: 572234
OS Northings: 126580
OS Grid: TQ722265
Mapcode National: GBR PV7.FKS
Mapcode Global: FRA C6VF.LPH
Entry Name: Haremere Hall
Listing Date: 3 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409128
Location: Etchingham, Rother, East Sussex, TN19
County: East Sussex
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Etchingham The Assumption and St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 72 NW ETCHINGHAM HAREMERE HILL
5/18 Haremere Hall
The house is of half-hipped plan. The main portion is early C17, the wings added
later in C17. 2 storeys, 6 windows. Ashlar. Cornice and parapet. Tiled roof.
Casement windows of 2 tiers of 4 lights with stone mullions and transoms. Two
bays not symmetrically placed with elaborate shaped gables above surmounted by
triangular portions topped by ball finials. These gables contain attic windows.
Wide four-centred archway in the centre of front with wide spandrels and an
escutcheon keystone. Beside it are the dates 1616-1860. It gives entrance to
a recessed porch containing a carved door. The north wall has a massive chimney
breast in the centre of the gable end. The south wall has a gable with a ball
finial, 3 windows and a modern bay on both finials. The southern of the two
half-hipped wings at the back has the date 1682 on it and a chimney breast at its
east end. The northern of the two wings has also been added and is of red brick
and stone rubble. The space between the wings is called the Well Court. The
interior contains a C17 staircase, overmantels and panelling. The house was
owned by the Busbridge family in the C17, and John Busbridge was shot by
Cromwellian soldiers when leaning out of a window here. In the early C19 it was
owned by the Prince Regent's friend Sir John Lade.
Listing NGR: TQ7223426580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings