Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.309 / 51°18'32"N
Longitude: 0.3111 / 0°18'40"E
OS Eastings: 561183
OS Northings: 159189
OS Grid: TQ611591
Mapcode National: GBR Y9.C44
Mapcode Global: VHHPN.BCVC
Entry Name: Church of St George
Location: Wrotham, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN15
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 25 August 1959
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427588
Source ID: 1236562
TQ6059-6159 WROTHAM C.P. THE SQUARE
7/36 (east side)
Church of St George
Church. Early C14 with C15 west tower; chancel restored 1860-61 by Newman and
Billing, tower restored by R Wheeler, 1876. Random rubble, plain tiled roofs.
Angle buttresses to tower, which has crenellated parapet and north-east turret.
Passage through it north-south on ground-floor with 3-bay rib-vault, originally to
allow processions to circle the church without descending into the road to the west
of the church ('The Square'). Nave with gabled aisles and chancel with east window
inserted 1958, reputedly from St Alban, Wood Street, City of London, Gothic survival
of 1633-34. All other windows renewed. Low south porch with arched entrance and
vaulted interior. Parvis chamber above. Interior. North aisle of 4 bays, south
aisle of 3 bays, these respaced; both with circular arcade piers and double
chamfered arches. Similar chancel arch. 2 bay chancel. Font. C13, stone,
octagonal, 2 shallow sunk arches on each face. Pulpit. 1861. Stone, with marble
shafts, supported on group of angels. Rood screen. C15. Wood with triple
square-headed lights. Piscina. Cinquefoiled ogee-arch and hood-mould on ball
flowers. Identical piscina in south aisle. Reredos in South Aisle, Ninian Campen,
1907. Benefactions boards under tower, C18 with fern-leaf surround. Wall-painting
in chancel. Monuments. Brasses. Thomas Nysell, d.1498; John Burgoyn, c.1500;
Thomas Pekham, d.1512; Reynold Pekham, d.1525; Hames Pekham, d.1532; William Clarke,
d.1611; Elizabeth Crispe, d.1615. Wall Monuments. Robert Rychens, d.1588. Black
marble slab showing kneeling family, set in alabaster framework. Nicholas Miller,
erected 1661. Black tablet with bust in open pediment over. Lucretia Betenson
d.c.1760. Bust in relief on draped roundel in concave surround. Perhaps by
Nicholas Read, (R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851).
Listing NGR: TQ6118359189
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings