History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ha Ha, Walls, Gates, Clock Tower, Sculptures and Terracing at Locko Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Dale Abbey, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9435 / 52°56'36"N

Longitude: -1.3927 / 1°23'33"W

OS Eastings: 440904

OS Northings: 338626

OS Grid: SK409386

Mapcode National: GBR 7G3.GP7

Mapcode Global: WHDGV.L80T

Entry Name: Ha Ha, Walls, Gates, Clock Tower, Sculptures and Terracing at Locko Park

Listing Date: 31 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236598

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427626

Location: Dale Abbey, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE21

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Dale Abbey

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Spondon St Werburgh

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Stanley

Listing Text

The following items shall be added:

PARISH OF DALE ABBEY LOCKO ROAD
SK 43 NW (north side)

5/18 Ha-ha, walls, gates,
clock tower, sculptures
and terracing at Locko
Park
GV II

Ha-ha, walls, gates, clock tower and sculptures and terracing at Locko Park.
1850s by Henry Stevens and 1890. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar,
sculptures cast in metal. The gritstone ha-ha encloses three sides of the house
and extends to the west, enclosing formal gardens. At the north east corner of
the house is a pair of square gate piers with moulded tops and ball finials.
Wrought iron gates. A second pair of gate piers to the north east. The ha-ha
returns along the east side of the house with flat copings, short banded piers
with ball finials and iron chains between. To the south the main entrance
archway. An Italianate ashlar archway with urns and curving wing walls to the
east with female sculptures holding globe lamps. At the south east corner an
Italianata pier surmounted by a sculpture of two fighting lions. The ha-ha
returns to enclose the south front of the house with flat copings and a flight
of steps in the middle. At the south west angle is a sculpture of a lion with
its prey. The ha-ha encloses the west side of the house with a low parapet
wall. In the centre is an Italianate clock tower dated 1890. Round-arched
doorways on two sides and round-arched windows on the other two sides. Frieze
of intersecting circles above. The upper floor has a clock face to the east and
round-arched bell openings to the other faces. Fluted frieze, moulded cornice
and ball finials. The east side is flanked by sculptures of two students. At
the north west corner is a rusticated pier with dentilled top. The ha-ha
returns to the west, enclosing formal terracing with sculptures of an eagle,
lions and urns.


Listing NGR: SK4090438626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.