This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2199 / 51°13'11"N
Longitude: 1.3771 / 1°22'37"E
OS Eastings: 635924
OS Northings: 152170
OS Grid: TR359521
Mapcode National: GBR X1X.F0C
Mapcode Global: VHLGZ.TLDN
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428196
Location: Sholden, Dover, Kent, CT14
Civil Parish: Sholden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
SHOLDEN LONDON ROAD
TR 35 SE (North side)
5/81 Church of
Parish church. C13 with C14 fenestration and tower, C17 porch, all heavily
restored late C19. Knapped flint and plain tiled roof. Nave and chancel
north porch and west tower. Three stage tower with string courses corner
buttresses and parapet. Nave with restored Y-tracery windows and buttresses,
chancel stepped in with renewed lancets, and low windows to north and south.
North porch C17 of red brick on flint, the end wall rebuilt C19 in brown
brick. C19 doorways. Interior: plain chamfered tower door, fine C15 chancel
arch on round responds with moulded octagonal capitals and bases, and wave
moulded outer order carried all the way round the arch. The inner reveals
of chancel lancets are original C13 work. C19 roofs, of crown posts in the
nave. The nave extends to north of chancel and tower as if aisled on plan.
The north doorway C15, with attached shafts and moulded surround. C19
fittings, including bad marble reredos. Monuments: large series of black
and white marble wall plaques, early and mid C19 Neo-classical, the best to
Sarah Curling, d. 1845, with draped urn and enriched bracketed base, signed
J. Milligan, Portland Rd, London, and Jane Harvey, d.1842, with a sarcophagus
on claw feet, with fasces on the sides, and small coffin over, signed
E. Gaffin, Regent St. London. Originally a chapelry of Northbourne. (See
B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 460)
Listing NGR: TR3582952152
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings