This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0498 / 51°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.3896 / 2°23'22"W
OS Eastings: 372783
OS Northings: 127898
OS Grid: ST727278
Mapcode National: GBR 0VJ.2NC
Mapcode Global: FRA 56WB.WBG
Entry Name: Physicwell House
Listing Date: 24 March 1961
Last Amended: 25 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1238359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 415838
Location: Stoke Trister, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9
District: South Somerset
Parish: Stoke Trister
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST72NW STOKE TRISTER CP
4/115 Physicwell House
(formerly listed as Horwood Well
House. Circa 1805. Doulting stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapet, rendered brick chimney stacks. In
style of a Regency Villa. 2 storeys, 3 bays each face. West elevation has plinth, small dentilled cornice low parapet
without coping; centre bay projects slightly; semi- circular headed sash windows to ground floor set in arched
recesses, and above 12-pane sashes in plain reveals; central doorway has pair glazed doors with slim sidelights under
ornate Regency semi-circular cast iron fanlight. Some blind panels to side elevations, on which windows were formerly
'painted-in'. Semi-circular plain projection to rear having staircase, with door in side and 12-pane sash window set on
curve. Interior very little changed: good cantilevered stone staircase; fine doors, including one made on curve to fit
curved partition to centre room. A speculation of the local Messiter family after two mineral springs were discovered
in 1805 (one in house): Horwood spa offered the 'water cure' with baths, visitor's rooms, a small chapel, and even a
nearby bank which opened 1808 and was forced to close 1810. Messiter went bankrupt, 1819, and the building sold and
converted to farmhouse with offices. (Sweetman, G. "History of Wincanton" c1903).
Listing NGR: ST7278327898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings