This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3946 / 51°23'40"N
Longitude: 0.2439 / 0°14'38"E
OS Eastings: 556209
OS Northings: 168560
OS Grid: TQ562685
Mapcode National: GBR WF.S76
Mapcode Global: VHHP7.56TR
Entry Name: The Parish Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1238792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 416426
Location: Horton Kirby and South Darenth, Sevenoaks, Kent, DA4
Parish: Horton Kirby and South Darenth
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Horton Kirby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HORTON KIRBY HORTON ROAD
The Parish Church
of St Mary
TQ 56 NE 3/189 1.6.67
Cruciform. Early English Church Circa 1190 with C14 and C19 alterations. Built
of flint with stone dressings. Some stock brick repairs. Tiled roof. In 1816-17
George Smith rebuilt the tower in brick and lopped off the eastern half of the
chancel. In 1862-3 Ewan Christian restored the stonework. The south porch is
mediaeval. The C14 nave is of 4 bays and has a crown post roof. The aisles were
demolished in tile C14. The most impressive feature are the Early English crossing
arches with stop-chamfers and deep moulded abaci. Chancel has lancet capitals of
Canterbury type with trumpet shaped bowl, square abacus and acanthus foliage.
Chancel contains 5 Bathurst cartouches the earliest C1688. Brasses, particularly
Alice Drayton (died 1468).
Listing NGR: TQ5625168352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings