This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6789 / 53°40'44"N
Longitude: -0.6724 / 0°40'20"W
OS Eastings: 487786
OS Northings: 421093
OS Grid: SE877210
Mapcode National: GBR RTRW.6Y
Mapcode Global: WHGFS.NS0J
Entry Name: Walcot Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1241765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 440982
Location: Alkborough, North Lincolnshire, DN15
County: North Lincolnshire
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Alkborough St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 82 SE ALKBOROUGH WALCOT ROAD
1/7 Walcot Hall
Small country house. Mid-late C18 for Thomas Goulton; early C19
alterations, including entrance porch; central section lowered to 2 storeys
and west front demolished c1964. Originally H-shaped on plan, 5 x 5 bays,
with 3-bay central section flanked by projecting canted end-bays to north
and south fronts, and central entrance hall front to east. Surviving
section comprises east front with 2 bays of former central section to rear.
East front: 2 storeys, 2:1:2 bays with central bay breaking forward and end
bays canted at returns. Plinth. Doric porch has 4 fluted columns with
carved capitals supporting full entablature and cornice with triglyphs,
guttae and mutules. Glazed 2-leaf door with 5 panes above single panels
have similarly glazed sidelights beneath a plain stucco lintel. 12-pane
sashes with projecting cills and flat rubbed brick arches, 3-course brick
first floor band. First floor has pairs of similar windows to side bays and
a tripartite window over entrance with central 12-pane sash and sidelights
divided by fluted pilasters. Canted returns have similar 12-pane sashes to
each face. Stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice; central bay has
slightly raised stone-coped parapet. Hipped roof. Pair of stacks to rear.
Interior. Entrance hall: plaster frieze with alternating fluted panels and
gilded urns, pair of fluted pilasters flanking opening to stair hall to
rear. 3-flight open well staircase supported on tapered columns has ramped
and wreathed handrail and pairs of column-on-vase balusters with square
knops to each tread. Ground floor left saloon: moulded dado rail, dentilled
cornice, chimneypiece with fluted pilasters and urns flanking fluted frieze.
Ground floor right saloon: moulded dado rail, dentilled cornice, later C19
marble chimneypiece. Library to rear left: moulded cornice, chimneypiece
with fluted frieze and dentilled cornice. First floor hall has pilasters
and cornice similar to ground floor hall; window over entrance with
pilasters between lights is flanked by fluted pilasters supporting a moulded
segmental arch. Architraves, fielded-panel doors and window shutters
throughout. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England :
Lincolnshire, 1978, 168. Drawing by C. Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection,
Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: SE8778621093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings