This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1132 / 51°6'47"N
Longitude: 1.1819 / 1°10'54"E
OS Eastings: 622808
OS Northings: 139689
OS Grid: TR228396
Mapcode National: GBR W1N.5MF
Mapcode Global: VHLHG.F9P0
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 441366
Location: Hawkinge, Shepway, Kent, CT18
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 23 NW HAWKINGE GRAVEYARD HILL
7/135 Church of
Parish church. Late Cll or C12, C13, and C17, restored 1875. Flint, with
stone quoins and dressings. Plain tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel.
South porch to nave. Nave: west end: no plinth. Gabled, with C19 bellcote.
Pointed, plain-chamfered lancet. Blocked round- headed late Cll or C12
doorway with small voussoirs carved with raised diamond pattern. South
elevation: one plain-chamfered pointed lancet towards west end and one tall
rectangular C17 two-light window with plain-chamfered mullion towards east.
South porch: galleted flint and stone, with plain tile roof. Broad, and
gabled. No windows. Plain-chamfered round-headed outer doorway with
consecration cross. Inner doorway has rounded jambs, segmental head, and
boarded door. Chancel: south elevation: rectangular two-light C17
window towards nave. Tall plain-chamfered pointed lancet with transom.
Another C17 two- light window towards east end. East end: two tall plain-
chamfered pointed lancets flanking a central buttress with offsets. North
elevation: unfenestrated. C19 lean-to vestry with two lancets and doorway in
a C13 style. Nave: north elevation: three broadly-spaced plain-chamfered
pointed lancets. Interior: roof: four crown-post trusses to nave, with
chamfered tie-beams, octagonal crown-posts with chamfered rectangular
capitals and bases, sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and plain-chamfered cornice.
C19 collar-purlin roof to chancel. Fittings: two east end lancets share a
single chamfered rere arch, with canted buttress between the lights. South-
east chancel window has deep C13 window-seat sedilla with piscina in top
of east 'arm'. Piscina in small pointed-arched recess to east end of south
wall, with image corbel to slightly-projecting bowl. Octagonal font with
chamfered bowl and plinth. Pamment floor to nave. Monuments: slab on
chancel floor to William Rolfe, d.1740, his wife and children (d.1747-86);
probably erected after 1786. Broadly scrolled top with two cherubs' heads.
Monument on north wall of chancel, to John Herdson, d.1622; alabaster.
Moulded plinth, with strapwork base-plate with crowned skull. Slightly
recessed rectangular inscription panel flanked by pilasters carved with
fruit, bibles and insignia of death. Rosette paterae. Inscribed frieze.
Moulded cornice. Iron bracket above. Declared redundant in 1980.
(J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North-east and east Kent, 1983 edn).
Listing NGR: TR2293539822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings