This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.115 / 51°6'53"N
Longitude: 1.1349 / 1°8'5"E
OS Eastings: 619506
OS Northings: 139749
OS Grid: TR195397
Mapcode National: GBR V08.5Q2
Mapcode Global: VHLHF.M79L
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 441648
Location: Paddlesworth, Shepway, Kent, CT18
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 13 NE PADDLESWORTH -
6/170 Church of St.
Parish church. Cll or earlier, with C13 alterations, restored C19. Flint
and stone, with stone dressings and plain tile roof. Nave, with
narrower chancel. Nave: no plinth. Three buttresses to west end.
Bellcote with hollow-chamfered four-centred-arched head to west opening,
to gable apex. Two large round-headed west windows. Three south
windows; small doubly-splayed window under eaves towards west end, with
rounded head formed from a single stone. Two-light window, with pointed
lights and no overall architrave. Small window under eaves towards
east end, with rounded head of one apparently splayed stone, but with
singly-splayed jambs. Low round-headed doorway towards west end of
south elevation, with small evenly-sized stone voussoirs and chamfered
abaci. Engaged, chevroned, semi-octagonal column to west jamb, with
moulded semi-octagonal base, and rectangular capital with large corner
volutes. East jamb has a slender plain, engaged shaft to inner and
outer side, the former with a moulded base, bothwith semi-scalloped
capitals. Chancel: no plinth. Two south windows; one large, with
slightly splayed or chamfered jambs and rounded head formed from single
stone, and one plain-chamfered pointed lancet set high in wall. Broad,
pointed plain-chamfered east lancet, and smaller similar window towards
centre of north elevation. Nave, north elevation: one two-light
medieval window towards east end, with plain-chamfered pointed lights and
no overall architrave. Small, doubly-splayed window with rounded head
formed from a single stone, set high towards west and. Unchamfered
rectangular stone doorway towards west end, with rounded relieving
arch of small evenly-sized stone voussoirs forming semi-circular
tympanum with flint infilling. Interior: Structure: round-headed
chancel arch with small, evenly-sized stone voussoirs, and chamfered
abaci. Angle shaft with scalloped capital and moulded base in rebate
to each side of west face of archway. Roof: C19 roof to nave. Chancel
roof boarded in seven cants. Fittings: stiff-leaf bowl of a pillar
piscina (shaft missing) towards east end of south wall of chancel.
Small projecting stone with chamfered corners and base and scratch date
1570 towards south end of east wall of chancel. Rectangular aumbry
with bevelled edges towards east end of north wall of chancel. Fort
with shaped bowl on cylindrical plinth. Said to be one of the smallest
churches in Kent. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, North-east
and East Kent, 1983 edn).
Listing NGR: TR1512841576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings