History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Northern Warehouse at Cromford Wharf

A Grade II Listed Building in Cromford, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1098 / 53°6'35"N

Longitude: -1.5537 / 1°33'13"W

OS Eastings: 429970

OS Northings: 357044

OS Grid: SK299570

Mapcode National: GBR 599.4A7

Mapcode Global: WHCDW.33DB

Entry Name: Northern Warehouse at Cromford Wharf

Listing Date: 8 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449884

Location: Cromford, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Cromford

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Cromford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Cromford

Listing Text

SK 2857/2957 CROMFORD MILL ROAD
Cromford Canal
668/2/10003
Northern Warehouse at
08.05.1992 Cromford Wharf

GV II

Canal warehouse. 1794 for Nathanial Wheatcroft (Arkwright Society archives), with extension of 1814. Coursed, squared and dressed sandstone; graduated Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with 1/2 basement, 1 x 5 bays. Front has central door of 4 flush panels in wooden frame beneath wedge lintel; window to left with plain lintel. Plain wall above rises as embattled parapet. Left return: central bay has loading doors to each floor, the openings boarded over except top floor which has boarded door. Bays 1, 2 and 4 on each floor have windows with grooved wedge lintels; the upper floors with projecting sills. Bay 5 has taller mid-floor window (with straight joints below) and top floor window as rest. Roof is hipped at left end and has lead-roll ridges. Right return: double doors to bays 1 and 3 otherwise windows as rest. Bays 2 to 5 covered by wooden lean-to added in 1814, and subsequently rebuilt, with tarred canvas covering to the roof which spans adjacent canal dock. Rear: steps down to half- basement door; boarded doors to ground floor. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SK2997057044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.