This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6037 / 52°36'13"N
Longitude: 1.7223 / 1°43'20"E
OS Eastings: 652146
OS Northings: 307165
OS Grid: TG521071
Mapcode National: GBR YQY.Q8M
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.FTD9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468643
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
District: Great Yarmouth
Town: Great Yarmouth
Locality: Southtown and Cobholm
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG5207SW SOUTHTOWN ROAD
839-1/15/242 (East side)
27/06/53 Southtown And Gorleston
Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1831. By JJ Scoles, extended in 1893. Gault
brick. Slate roofs. Nave and narrow chancel with vestries
added north and south of the chancel.
EXTERIOR: nave with 5 tall lancets to north and south
separated by flat buttresses rising to low parapets. The
buttresses have knapped flint panels. West front with a low
narthex added 1925 entered through an arched doorway under a
shouldered pediment and flanked by a small lancet right and
left. Similar shouldered pediment framed between pair of tall
square pinnacles to main wall containing 3 stepped lancets.
Arched side doors. Wide gabled roof. Chancel with twin lancets
north and south and a blind east end.
INTERIOR: no arcades. Suspended ceiling. Gallery round 3 walls
removed 1914. Triple pointed sedilia and piscina in chancel.
Altar, reredos and panelling, pulpit and Litany desk relocated
from Church of St Peter (qv) 1964.
Listing NGR: TG5214607165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings