Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.216 / 51°12'57"N
Longitude: 1.2951 / 1°17'42"E
OS Eastings: 630212
OS Northings: 151470
OS Grid: TR302514
Mapcode National: GBR W0G.Q77
Mapcode Global: VHLGY.DPHP
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Location: Tilmanstone, Dover, Kent, CT14
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429063
Source ID: 1247778
TILMANSTONE UPPER STREET
TR 35 SW (West side)
4/121 Church of
11.10.63 St. Andrew
Parish church. C12, tower C13, nave C14 and C15, C18 south porch. Restored
1884. Flint, in part rendered, with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave,west
tower and south porch. Three stage tower with string course to parapet,
and simple chamfered lancets, and chamfered west doorway. South porch of
flint and red brick with kneelered gable and rusticated stone arch with
acanthus enriched keystone. Renewed south doorway, retains parts of C12
chip-carved tympanum. C12 lancets survive particularly in the north nave
wall, C13 lancets in chancel and buttressed south nave wall. Renewed C15.
Perpendicular 3 light East window with small trecusped C15 lancet over.
Interior: wide plain chamfered tower arch on abaci with chamfered jambs.
Reveals of C12 lancets, especially on north wall, and blocked north doorway.
Pointed arched recesses to north and south east, C19 crown post roof. C14
chancel arch, double chamfered, the inner order on octagonal responds with
moulded capitals. Chancel with C14 trussed rafter roof. Fittings: Water
stoup by south door. C19 chancel fittings, with altar rail with twisted
brass stems, pierced arcaded altar table, painted and mosaic reredos, with
Christ in a central mandorla flanked by incense-swinging angels; screen and
choir stalls. C18 pulpit, octagonal, with plain raised and fielded panelled
sides. Font, C12, with square arcaded bowl on 5 shafts. Royal Arms of
William III, re-hung under the tower arch after restoration 1979. Glass: 3
medieval shields and a rose in chancel north lancet, and C15 St. Andrew window
in east gable lancet. Tower window 1597 by Holiday, the rest Kempe 1896-1906.
Monuments: brass to Richard Fogg of Dane Court d.1598, plaque on south
chancel wall. Fogg and wife kneel on a patterned floor with a shield
supported on pillars behind them and a son and 3 daughters below them.
Michael Hatton of Dane Court, d.1776. Wall tablet in nave of plain grey
marble with Doric half columns supporting a broken pediment with arms
cartouche. Edward Royds Rice of Dane Court, d.1878. C17 style wall tablet
with acanthus enriched apron, with oak leaf festooned sides, scalloped frieze
and broken segmental pediment with achievement over. Signed H.H. Armstead,
R.A. Henry Edward Harcourt, d.1944, also in imitation C17 style, with lugged
tablet, enriched with scrolls, with swan-neck pediment and cartouche, the
whole enriched. Reverend Robert Twigg, d.1880. Bronze wall plaque with
scrolled outer border, decorated in forms almost Art Nouveau. (See BOE Kent
III 1983, 478-9).
Listing NGR: TR3020551404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings