This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7251 / 52°43'30"N
Longitude: -1.8798 / 1°52'47"W
OS Eastings: 408217
OS Northings: 314163
OS Grid: SK082141
Mapcode National: GBR 3BV.5K8
Mapcode Global: WHCGG.3R4S
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 27 February 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248990
English Heritage Legacy ID: 430690
Location: Longdon, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15
Civil Parish: Longdon
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Longdon St James
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
LONGDON C.P. LONGDON
SK 01 SE
Church of St. James
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel incorporating some C12 remains.
C16 west tower and south chapel, and north transept of 1870 by A. Hart-
shorne. Coursed and dressed sandstone blocks; slate and plain tile
roofs with stone copings. West tower, 5-bay nave, 3-bay,chancel 2-
bay north transept and 2-bay south chapel. West tower. Early C16.
4 stages with diagonal buttresses, and crenellated parapet with crocketed
corner finials. Pointed west door with double ogee-moulded frame.
Window immediately above with 4-centred arch, 3 trefoil-headed lights
and panel tracery. Third stage blind to the west, single trefoil-
headed loops to north and south. Belfry opening of 2 transomed lights
and a single reticulation beneath a 4-centred arch. Nave. Early
C13. 2 lancet windows on the south side. Below the westernmost of
these is an extension accommodating a blocked recess, probably for an
effigy. C19 gabled south porch with segmental pointed entrance. Inside
is a C12 doorway of 2 orders of colonettes with carved cushion capitals,
including a green man motif; zig zag moulded inner order and unusual
outer order. Chancel. Late C13. Bay divisions marked by buttresses,
diagonal buttresses at the eastern angles. Pointed east window of
4 lights with reticulated tracery. Lancet windows to the sides, the
central ones have Y-tracery. Pilaster buttresses adjacent to the nave.
South chapel. Early C16. Built by John Stoneywall ( ), Abbot
of Pershore. Crenellated parapet. The windows have 4-centred arches,
panelled spandrels and deeply hollowed frames. East window has 5 trefoil
headed lights; the south windows 4 lights with squash tracery; the west
window is blocked. North transept. Ashlar with diagonal tooling.
Cusped lancets with hood moulds terminating in carved heads. A group
of 3 lancets in the east wall with linked hood mould, and a circular
light above. Interior. C12 chancel arch of 3 orders; the outer and
inner orders are carved with zig-zag, the central order is roll-moulded.
Each order springs from shafts with scalloped capitals and square abaci.
Tall pointed tower arch with 3 orders of concave quadrant mouldings;
C16. C20 pitched timber roof. 2-bay arcade separates nave from south
chapel. 4-centred arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals.
The south transept roof has a very low pitch and all members are moulded.
Immediately to the left of the chancel arch on entering the chancel
is the remains of a staircase which formerly led to the rood loft.
Fittings. Composite font. C12 basin with diagonal reeding and upper
band of fan-like motifs. C13 stem carved with stiff leaf, from Lichfield
Cathredral. Monuments. Chancel: Edmund Green, died 1691, oval tablet;
Ann Eld, died 1772, pedimented aedicule. South chapel: two C17 incised
slabs; Thomas Orme memorial by E. Stanton, 1717, fluted Corinthian pil-
aster and semi-circular pediment brocken by a bust and flanked by cherubs.
Elizabeth Ester, died 1869, by Peter Hollins, arcophagus and two child
angels. Stained glass. C14 glass in the north-east and south-east
windows of the chancel. In the south chapel the east window is of
1906 by H. Bryant, and the south-east window of 1914.
Listing NGR: SK0821714163
Other nearby listed buildings