Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2527 / 51°15'9"N
Longitude: 0.4836 / 0°29'0"E
OS Eastings: 573414
OS Northings: 153318
OS Grid: TQ734533
Mapcode National: GBR PRC.H28
Mapcode Global: VHJMD.BSJ2
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Location: East Farleigh, Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Parish: East Farleigh
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431661
Source ID: 1249534
TQ 75 SW EAST FARLEIGH
Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late Cll or C12, C13, C14 and Cl5, restored 1891 by J.L.
Pearson. Ragstone, with plain tile roof. Wood shingles to spire. West
tower, nave, south aisle, south porch with parvis chamber, chancel with
south chapel, north vestry, north aisle. West tower: C13, possibly with
earlier origins. Roughly coursed ragstone rubble. Battered plinth. No
stages. North-east pilaster buttress with tufa quoins, and traces of
another to south-east. Splay-footed octagonal tower with C19 lucarnes.
Lancet to each face of belfry except east. Small rectangular light towards
centre of tower below each lancet. Moulded pointed-arched west doorway with
renewed scroll-moulded hoodmould. South aisle: re-built or re-faced in
1891. Small blocks of evenly-coursed dressed stone on chamfered stone plinth.
Moulded and gargoyled string-course below plain parapet with moulded stone
coping. Diagonal south-west and south-east buttresses and 2 south buttresses.
C19 west window and three C19 south windows in a late C13 style. South porch:
in a similar style to south aisle, with parapet raised to point over doorway.
Chamfered plinth. Diagonal south-west and south-east buttresses. South
window to parvis chamber of two trefoil-headed lights with squared hoodmould.
Small rectangular west light to porch and blocked trefoil-headed light to
east. South doorway possibly C15 with cavetto-moulded pointed arch and
doubly plain-chamfered jambs, with broach stops and renewed moulded
hoodmould. C19 inner doorway and ribbed medieval inner door. South chapel:
C14. Roughly-coursed ragstone but with chamfered plinth, moulded string-
course and parapet as south aisle. String-course and parapet raised to point
over east window. 2-light C15 south window with hoodmould and tracery of
vertical bars. Late C14 or early C15 two-light east window with trefoil-
headed lights, encircled quatrefoils and moulded hoodmould. Chancel:
C14 or earlier core. Roughly coursed ragstone. Extends east of chapels.
Chamfered plinth. 2-light south window with renewed tracery of vertical bars,
and hoodmould. Broad 3-light east window with moulded medieval jambs and
similar tracery. 2-light C19 north window with trefoil. Vestry: C19 at
right-angles to chancel, with lower extension to north. North aisle: 1891,
in same style as south aisle. 4 north windows alternating with buttresses;
one 3-light towards east, rest 2-light. Interior: structure: 4-bay nave
arcade to north and south, of 1891, with chamfered pointed arches springing
from clustered shafts. Pointed cavetto-moulded C15 chancel arch, inner
moulding springing from attached semi-circular shafts with moulded semi-
octagonal capitals and bases; outer moulding continuous. Pointed doubly
plain-chamfered C14 arch between chancel and south chapel, springing from
scroll-moulded imposts. Doubly plain-chamfered C14 pointed arch with
renewed base between south chapel and south aisle. Late C11 or C12 west
doorway to nave, possibly re-set or re-worked, visible from base of tower,
with chamfered imposts, raised hoodmould and chevron band. Part of
chamfered jamb of blocked opening immediately above west end of sedilia. C19
hagioscope to south chancel chapel. Roof: restored collared common rafters
with scissor-braces and ashlar pieces to nave. Moulded octagonal crown-post
to chancel, on C19 tie-beam, with sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Shallow-
pitched roof to south chapel, with broad ridge-beam butted by rafters and
supported on chamfered tie-beams. C19 lean-to roofs to aisles. Fittings:
trefoil-headed piscina, probably C19, with continuous roll-and-fillet
moulding. Triple sedilia with partly renewed hollow- chamfered pointed-
arched heads and scroll-moulded C19 hoodmould. Octagonal font. Monuments:
large C14 tomb recess to south wall of south chapel, with moulded multi-
cusped ogee arch with crocket finial. Shallow tomb recess to north wall of
chancel with depressed moulded multi-cusped arch with daggered and
quatrefoiled spandrels and panelled chest. Tablet on north wall of chancel
to Agnes Wilberforce, d. 1834, by Samuel Joseph. Rectangular tablet on
plain consoles, with fluted side panels. Above, a white marble relief of
mourning family by draped urn on pedestal, with tapering grey marble back
plate. Decoration: C19 stained glass to east window with scenes from
Passion. South chapel with C19 mottled grey and green-tiled dado, tiled
figures of Old Testament women above dado rail, and chequered black-and-
white marble floor. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TQ7291753345
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings