This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9523 / 52°57'8"N
Longitude: -1.135 / 1°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 458213
OS Northings: 339784
OS Grid: SK582397
Mapcode National: GBR LSP.FT
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.J2R1
Entry Name: New Albion
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458856
Location: Nottingham, NG2
County: City of Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sneinton St Stephen with St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/03/2017
SNEINTON ROAD (South side)
No. 62A, New Albion
(Formerly listed as Albion Night Shelter, SNEINTON ROAD)
Formerly known as: Albion United Reformed Church SNEINTON ROAD.
Former United Reformed Church. Dated 1856. Designed by architect Thomas Oliver junior of Sunderland. The contractor was Mr Smith of Woolpack Lane, and the Clerk of Works was William Booker of Nottingham. Enlarged 1904. Ashlar and red brick, with concrete tile roof. Classical style. Plinth, entablature, parapet with balustrade panels. Bays are divided by fluted Ionic pilasters. Two storeys; 3 x 5 bays.
Entrance front has a pediment topped with a corniced pedestal. Tall round-arched central recess with a triple doorway. Above, an entablature and sham balustrade, and a single window. Side bays have a single window on each floor, those to the ground floor flat-headed. Returns have regular fenestration in the same style. At the rear, a lower addition, 1904, brick, two storeys, with two round-arched ground floor windows.
INTERIOR: rendered. Floor inserted at balcony level, with concrete staircase at west end. Arcades, five bays, with moulded round arches on slender cast-iron Corinthian columns. Segmental plaster vault with moulded cornice. At the east end, a moulded elliptical arch with pilasters to the similarly vaulted chancel. Aisles have stepped floors and flat ceilings with cornices. Round-arched recesses and stairs at the west ends. Ground floor, refitted as night shelter, has columns encased in concrete.
Listing NGR: SK5821339784
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings