Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8422 / 53°50'31"N
Longitude: -1.4744 / 1°28'27"W
OS Eastings: 434683
OS Northings: 438562
OS Grid: SE346385
Mapcode National: GBR LS40.LF
Mapcode Global: WHDBC.BP5D
Entry Name: Redhall House
Location: Leeds, LS17
Locality: Cross Gates and Whinmoor
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Last Amended: 11 September 1996
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465190
Source ID: 1256162
SE33NW RED HALL LANE, Shadwell
714-1/7/1095 (North side (off))
19/10/51 Redhall House
(Formerly Listed as:
RED HALL LANE, Shadwell
Large house, now headquarters of Rugby Football League. C17
origins, late C18 main range, additions early C19. Red brick
in Flemish and random bond, ashlar details, slate roofs. 2
storeys, with attics, 9 first-floor windows. Ashlar plinth.
The original house is the 5-window central range: central 3 in
a wide pedimented bay which breaks forward, with central
panelled door in eared architrave with pediment over, flanking
narrow 7 x 2-pane windows with flat brick arches to ground and
1st floors and above the continuous sill band, centre, a large
traceried fanlight window in keyed architrave. Windows in
early C19 added outer bays are wider sashes of 7 x 2 panes, in
corniced architraves. Sill bands, moulded stone eaves cornice
and blocking course. Central range has a hipped roof with end
stacks, outer bays separately roofed.
Rear: 2 possibly C17 gables with stone copings, 12-pane sashes
in flush wood frames, and a slightly-projecting brick and
ashlar stack rises behind added lean-to service range;
attached rear wing on north side of courtyard is of 3 bays,
the outer bays gabled with copings and turned-in kneelers; the
recessed central bay has two 4-centred arches, now windows.
INTERIOR: the entrance hall open to 1st floor, lit by the
large fanlight with purple and yellow glass panes; entrance
hall has deeply carved door cases with moulded entablatures,
cornices, 6-panel doors, bucranium frieze to entrance to
cross-corridor; window shutters, large C19 fireplace with
heavy console brackets and badge of the Ibbetson family. The
hall ceiling has central rose, modillion cornice.
On the cross corridor is a very fine mid C18 staircase with
knopped column-on-vase balusters, moulded and ramped handrail,
fluted end column and carved string; the round-headed stair
window has margin lights; modillion and egg-and-dart cornice.
A service stair rises from ground floor to attics and has
column-on-vase balusters and ramped handrail.
Listing NGR: SE3468338562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings