This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5373 / 50°32'14"N
Longitude: -3.6221 / 3°37'19"W
OS Eastings: 285145
OS Northings: 72092
OS Grid: SX851720
Mapcode National: GBR QP.ZK36
Mapcode Global: FRA 379N.2Q0
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464123
Location: Newton Abbot, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Parish: Newton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Highweek All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8472 CHURCH PATH, Highweek
1012-1/7/163 (East side)
16/07/49 Parish Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C15 (consecrated 1428); restored late C19,
chancel rebuilt and extended in 1892; south aisle lengthened
MATERIALS: limestone rubble, mostly rendered, separate C20
crested slate roofs to nave and aisles.
PLAN: aisled nave with chancel, south porch and west tower.
EXTERIOR: moulded kneelers to copings of gable parapets. The
C19 chancel has a 5-light window with geometric tracery, and a
C19 parapeted vestry to the north-east corner with lancet
windows and semicircular doorway. The rendered north aisle has
3 irregularly-spaced 3-light C15 windows with panel tracery; 2
pointed-arched doors, one blocked.
South side has 3-light Perpendicular-style east window to late
C19 chapel; from east on aisle are 3-light late C19
Perpendicular-style window, 3 reset late C18 memorial tablets,
3 granite C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows and roll-moulded
architrave to basket-arched window over moulded 4-centred
The west tower, rendered, battlemented, with offset diagonal
buttresses up to the parapet, is in 3 stages. The third stage
has label moulds over paired Tudor-arched louvres, the second
stage is plain and the first stage has a loophole above a
3-light window of 2 pointed-arched lights flanking a central
flat-arched light all set in an unmoulded Tudor arch. Below is
a small plain chamfered pointed arch, probably C15 over C19
The south porch forms the west bay of the south aisle.
INTERIOR: chancel has Ten Commandments flanking east window
and C19 side arches including trefoil-headed 3-bay recess.
4-bay nave has granite Pevsner A-type columns with moulded
arches to south and B-type columns with chamfered arches of 2
orders to north. Restored C15 wagon roofs to aisles, with
moulded ribs and foliate bosses; nave roof rebuilt C19. C15
font with tracery patterns on pillar and bowl.
FITTINGS: plain late C19 pews and wrought-iron altar rail and
brass eagle lectern.
MEMORIALS: include Walter Wemyss Leslie, d1863, by Pickering
of Carlisle and Elizabeth Hocombe d1780 with urn in bracketed
pediment and black marble tablet.
STAINED GLASS: late C19 stained glass, except some medieval
stained glass to the top of a north window.
HISTORY: the church was a chapel of ease until 1864.
(BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 584).
Listing NGR: SX8514772090
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings