This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.261 / 53°15'39"N
Longitude: -1.9154 / 1°54'55"W
OS Eastings: 405741
OS Northings: 373779
OS Grid: SK057737
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2Q.3R
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.K94D
Entry Name: Palace Hotel
Listing Date: 18 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463191
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Corbar
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Fairfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE PALACE ROAD
616-1/3/62 (West side)
18/10/94 Palace Hotel
Formerly known as: Buxton Hotel PALACE ROAD.
Hotel. 1868, with C20 alterations and additions. By Henry
Currey. Coursed dressed millstone grit with ashlar dressings
and Welsh slate Mansard roofs with ornate iron ridge railings.
STYLE: French chateau.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic and basement. Moulded plinth,
ground floor impost band, moulded first floor cornice band and
moulded second-floor band. Deeply moulded eaves cornice with
brackets and iron railed parapet.
Main symmetrical 17-window front arranged 2:4:1:3:1:4:2 with
projecting 5 window centre and 2 window pavilions. Central
projecting porch with triple round arches supported on painted
cast-iron columns with double doors and 3 round headed windows
with margin glazing. Above 3 cross casements with pilaster
surrounds and bracketed hoods forming balconies with iron
railings to the 3 round headed windows above, also with flat
hoods. Attic has open pediment and tripartite window with
round headed centre. Single bays set back to each side have
round headed doorways and then similar fenestration.
Set back 4 window side wings have slightly projecting ground
floors topped with similar balustrade and fenestration to
centre block, with pedimented dormer windows to attic. 2
window slightly projecting outer pavilions have similar
fenestration with rusticated pilaster strips at the corners.
Central section and side pavilions are linked by low stone
walls and ornate iron railings.
Left return originally of 4 bays, now of 7 bays with right
angled wing and similar articulation.
INTERIOR: retains large entrance hall with stairs to rear,
both with ornate plasterwork and marble pillars.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116; Leach John: The Book Of Buxton:
Leicester: 1987-: 126+127).
Listing NGR: SK0574173779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings