This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2593 / 53°15'33"N
Longitude: -1.9233 / 1°55'23"W
OS Eastings: 405212
OS Northings: 373590
OS Grid: SK052735
Mapcode National: GBR HZ0R.DB
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.FBCP
Entry Name: Longford Lodge
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258014
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463197
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Corbar
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK07SE PARK ROAD, The Park
House. 1894 by Barry Parker. Coursed rock-faced millstone
grit, with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof and stone
EXTERIOR: 2 storey plus attics. Chamfered plinth. Irregular 3
window entrance front, with projecting gabled single window to
left. Central projecting wooden porch, reached up 4 stone
steps. Tudor arched 4-panel door with glazing bar overlight,
topped with flat overhanging roof finished with square
latticed balustrade. Above single 3-light cross casement to
right. Left wing has 3-light cross casement, above a single
light corner window and in the gable a single plain sash.
Garden front has projecting wing to right with very unusual,
canted and square bay window projecting across the across this
junction, with a 3- and a 4-light cross casements. Above to
left a stone oriel window supported on 3 brackets with 4-light
cross casement, and then a 3-light through eaves gabled dormer
window. Right corner has 2 storey square bay window are across
the corner with 2 pairs of cross casements to each floor.
Left return has single cross casement and hipped single storey
projection. Blank first floor and above a plain sash in right
gable and a small through eaves gabled dormer to left.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: this house was one of 3 originally built by Barry
Parker in The Park. Of the other two, Strachur (not included)
has been altered and Moorland has been demolished. They are
believed to have featured in "Our Homes" (1895) by B Parker,
and also in "Art of Building a Home" 1901 (Parker and Unwin).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116; Parker B: Our Homes: 1895-;
Parker B: The Art of Building a Home: 1901-).
Listing NGR: SK0521273590
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings