This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1838 / 51°11'1"N
Longitude: 0.1113 / 0°6'40"E
OS Eastings: 547655
OS Northings: 144850
OS Grid: TQ476448
Mapcode National: GBR LMN.QY8
Mapcode Global: VHHQ3.WH6V
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 16 January 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258341
English Heritage Legacy ID: 444818
Location: Hever, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hever St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 44 SE
Church of St Peter
The entry shall be amended to read:-
TQ 44 SE HEVER
Church of St Peter
Church. Late C13 (c.1292) north aisle; early C14 chancel, nave and tower with C15
alterations; Bullen Chapel of c.1450 to north of chancel. Roughly coursed rubble
with ashlar dressings; gabled plain tile roofs and tall splay-footed shingled
spire. Chancel with north chapel and nave with north aisle and west tower.
Chancel has diagonal corner buttress and offset buttresses, C15 Perpendicular
3-light east window and, to south, a lancet window with C15 arched head and an
early C14 two-light window. Bullen Chapel, with diagonal corner buttresses, has
hood mould over C15 three-light east window with cinquefoiled heads and label
mould over 4-centred arched doorway with sunk spandrels adjoining lateral north
stack with octagonal ashlar shaft. North aisle, with offset buttresses, has hood
moulds over two C14 cinquefoil-headed 2-light windows, label mould over square-
headed C14 two-light window with trefoiled ogee heads and a trefoil-headed light.
South wall of nave has roof-stair projection to east, and hood moulds over C15
segmental-arched and trefoil-headed 2-light window and (to west) a similar tran-
somed window flanking gabled south porch of 1894 set in front of C14 plank door
with iron strap hinges and knocker set in 2-centred arch of 2 hollow-chamfered
orders. C14 two-stage tower has C15 Perpendicular 2-light window above hood mould
over 2-centred arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders; upper stage has chamfered
lancets above trefoil-headed lancets. Interior: chancel has two C14 carved head
corbels beneath roof hidden by mid/late C19 soffit boarding and with two
brattished cross beams; mid C15 two-bay arcade to Bullen Chapel with 4-centred
arches of two chamfered orders set on octagonal and engaged piers with moulded
capitals. Bullen Chapel has similar arch to north aisle, piscina to east, C15
fireplace with sunk spandrels and hollow-moulded architrave, and mid/late C19
soffit boarding to canted roof. Nave has C14 plank door with strap hinges set in
rebated pointed arch to rood stairs, C15 arch-braced common-rafter roof with
moulded ashlar plates, moulded cross-beam and mid/late C19 collar purlin and late
C16 texts on south wall. Late C13 three-bay north arcade with 2-centred arches of
2 chamfered orders set on circular piers with moulded capitals. North aisle has
C14 common-rafter roof with soulace pieces and moulded ashlar plates. Fittings:
late C19 reredos, choir stalls screen and pews; late C16 altar (formerly manifold
chest) with fluted Ionic columns and carved Renaissance decoration; early C17
(dated 1621) pulpit with strapwork panels, quilloche carving to muntins and rails,
late C19 top-rail and base and C17 tester; font has C14 octagonal bowl set on
mid/late C19 base surrounded by reset C14/15 tiles. Monuments: chancel has fine
brass to William Todde, d. 1585, with kneeling figure at desk, fine brass with
recumbent effigy flanked by angels to Margaret Cheyne, d. 1419, and early C16
floor tablet with brass cross to Henry, infant son of Sir Thomas Bullen. Bullen
Chapel has exceptionally fine brass with recumbent effigies to Sir Thomas Bullen,
d. 1538, and wife set on tomb chest with crocketed ogee panels divided by
pilasters to sides and with heraldic shield set in quatrefoil to end; slate floor
slab to Robert Humphreys d. 1736, two mid C19 wall tablets to Members of Mead-
Waldo family, stele with urn to Colonel Rochfort d. 1856, Neo-classical wall monu-
ment with Grecian Mourner and urn to Harriet Bloomfield d. 1838, and plain tablet
to Janes Johnstone d. 1846. Stained glass: mostly C19 and C20, including east
window of 1898; Royal Arms of 1660 in south west window; south chancel window of
(Buildings of England: West Kent and The Weald, p.322).
1. HEVER Church of St Peter
TQ 44 SE 53/514 10.9.54.
Nave, chancel, North aisle and chapel, West tower, with tall, shingled spire.
Roughly coursed rubble, freestone dressings. Plastered interior. Norman South
nave wall, C13 arcade, of 3 bays. North aisle windows mostly late Perpendicular.
Wide 2-bay chancel, also Perpendicular. Modern wrought-iron screen. C17 pulpit.
Fragments of wall-painting with lettering. Several brasses including a large
one to Sir Thomas Bullen, d.1538, the father of Anne Boleyn, resting on a decayed
tomb chest. Modern wood South porch.
Listing NGR: TQ4733844421
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings