Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9609 / 53°57'39"N
Longitude: -1.0826 / 1°4'57"W
OS Eastings: 460292
OS Northings: 452030
OS Grid: SE602520
Mapcode National: GBR NQWM.FW
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.BPQX
Entry Name: Barley Hall
Location: York, YO1
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463138
Source ID: 1259208
SE6052SW COFFEE YARD
1112-1/27/217 (North East side)
Formerly known as: Building on SE side, 30 yds SE of Stonegate
Probably Prebendal Hospice, later house. Probably C13
originally, with C15 hall; alterations of mid C15, c1600,
early C19; restored and partly reconstructed c1990.
Timber-framed, and brick with pantile and plain tile roofs.
PLAN: long range of medieval lodgings to north-east with a
late medieval hall house added at south-west, when first range
was adapted to form solar and private apartments to important
EXTERIOR: north-east range: now largely reconstructed re-using
original timbers where possible. Exterior completely rebuilt.
INTERIOR: retains a mutilated C17 brick stack and stairwell
with early C19 staircase.
South-east hall range: 2-bay 2-storey open hall, reconstructed
with original south-east wall and roof truss: central hall
truss re-used. Passage, now a thoroughfare, retains restored
original framing including ogee-arched entrance and blocked
service doorway with 4-centred head, both in chamfered
openings. Exterior to south-west completely rebuilt.
Extension of c1600 to south-east survives largely intact.
Exterior south-east wall brick with various later openings,
including 2-leaf lifting door above passage, and first floor
3-light window with rendered brick mullions. Interior has
brick chimney stack with two Tudor-arched fireplaces.
Restoration carried out c1990 by the York Archaeological
Trust, when much of the building was taken down and a complete
restoration of the medieval and late medieval fabric carried
out. Most of the timber-framing in the north-east range was
(Michelmore D and Wright R: The Coffee Yard Project: 1985-;
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 232).
Listing NGR: SE6029252030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.