This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2604 / 53°15'37"N
Longitude: -1.9162 / 1°54'58"W
OS Eastings: 405685
OS Northings: 373716
OS Grid: SK056737
Mapcode National: GBR HZ1Q.YY
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.J9QT
Entry Name: Lodge and Gate to Devonshire Royal Hospital
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463000
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Corbar
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE DEVONSHIRE ROAD
616-1/3/68 (South West side)
Lodge and gate to Devonshire Royal
Lodge and gate piers. 1868, with C20 additions. Built for the
Trustees of the Devonshire Hospital. Ashlar with ashlar
dressings and slate roofs. Single stone stack. Chamfered
plinth. Deep moulded eaves with brackets.
EXTERIOR: single storey. South-east gable front has deeply
moulded open pediment with brackets and single 3-light window
with central round arched light with keystone flanked by
columns and lower and narrower round arched lights, all with
plain sashes and projecting sill on brackets.
South- west and north-east gable fronts each have a single
2-light window with round arched lights with keystones, both
with plain sashes and projecting sills on brackets.
Set back in eastern return a corner porch with 2 round arches
with keystones supported on square column and blocked doorway.
Attached low wall with chamfered coping and 2 tall square gate
piers with chamfered bases and moulded tops surmounted by iron
lanterns with glass globes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: in 1859 half the former Stables to the Crescent were
donated to the poor by the 6th Duke of Devonshire, the
Devonshire Hospital was founded here in 1868 when the 7th Duke
conveyed the building to the Trustees together with the
Included for group value with the Royal Devonshire Hospital.
Listing NGR: SK0568573716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings