This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2575 / 53°15'26"N
Longitude: -1.9155 / 1°54'55"W
OS Eastings: 405732
OS Northings: 373390
OS Grid: SK057733
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.2Z
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KD22
Entry Name: Grosvenor House Hotel
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462921
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Buxton Central
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573SE BROAD WALK
616-1/4/17 (South East side)
Grosvenor House Hotel
Villa or boarding house now hotel. Mid C19, extended late C19
altered C20. Possibly by Sir Joseph Paxton. Dressed millstone
grit with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof, moulded stone
stacks and over-hanging eaves on prominent wooden brackets.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics with single storey extension to
left. Plinth, impost and sill bands. Main front has 3 windows
with central segment headed doorway with 4 panel door and
overlight, chamfered surround with carved imposts and
keystone, and above a segment headed plain sash in similar
surround. To left a 2 storey canted bay window with segment
headed plain sashes and hipped slate roof. To right a similar
single storey canted bay window with flat roof, and above a
single segment headed plain sash with carved impost and
keystone. Above in gables on either side a round headed sash
with prominent keystone.
Single storey flat roofed extension to left with segment
headed doorway to right with 4 panel door and overlight in
flat ashlar surround with keystone and flat hood. To left a
pair of segment headed plain sashes in similar surrounds with
beyond canted corner with similar pair of sashes.
Rear: irregular asymmetrical, containing some round headed
windows. Brick extension.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The Broad Walk comprises a series of Victorian villas and a
walk overlooking the Pavilion Gardens originally laid out by
Paxton c1850, though most of the surrounding houses were built
by speculative developers. Some are reputed to be designed in
detail by his former pupil Edward Milner from 1871, and built
by Saunders & Woolcott for the 7th Duke.
(Kelly's Directories: Buxton: 1869-).
Listing NGR: SK0573273390
Other nearby listed buildings