This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9051 / 52°54'18"N
Longitude: -0.6265 / 0°37'35"W
OS Eastings: 492477
OS Northings: 335066
OS Grid: SK924350
Mapcode National: GBR DQ4.Y5N
Mapcode Global: WHGKP.B7XQ
Entry Name: St Vincent's House
Listing Date: 27 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437292
Location: South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG31
District: South Kesteven
Town: South Kesteven
Locality: Grantham St Vincent's
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
SK 93 NW 2/200A
ST VINCENT'S ROAD,
St Vincent's House
Small country house. Built c.1868 for Richard Hornsby, industrialist, who owned the local iron works, and agricultural engine works. Gothic Revival style. Rock-faced limestone, with ashlar dressings and steeply pitched Welsh slate roofs, with decorative ridge tiles. Ashlar coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials. Two external, rear wall chimneys, with tall, double columnar ashlar stacks, the remaining stacks have been capped. Moulded ashlar plinth, and flush quoins. 2 storeys plus attics. Irregular plan. North entrance front, has central projecting gabled wing, with single storey, lean to, porch to the left. The doorway has a pointed arched moulded ashlar surround, with marble shafts, and hood mould. Above is a moulded ashlar parapet pierced with quatrofoils. To the right a 2-light, chamfered window, with tracery, above a single plain sash, in a flat headed chamfered surround, with a pointed inner arch. Above again a 3-light, chamfered mullion window, with a taller central light with cusped heads. At the north-west corner a circular tower, of 3 storeys, the lower 2 storeys have 3 single light chamfered lancets, with quatrofoil tracery. The third floor has an 8-light glazed arcade, with marble shafted columns and cusped tops. Below is a moulded band decorated with quatrofoils. Above a conical slate roof. Similar west and south front. Interior: entrance hall, has encased marble pillars, and a carved stone staircase.
From 1922-77 this house was the property of the Air Ministry, and from 1937 to 1943 the Headquarters of No. 5 Group, Bomber Command. The famous "Dambusters" Air Raid on the Ruhr Dams, by 617 Squadron, was controlled from here. Various extensions and additions were added by the Air Ministry, most of these were removed, and the house restored after the property became the District Council Headquarters in 1977. None of the buildings in the grounds is of special interest.
Listing NGR: SK9247735066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings