History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

The Nunnery

A Grade II* Listed Building in Arthington, Leeds

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9017 / 53°54'6"N

Longitude: -1.562 / 1°33'43"W

OS Eastings: 428878

OS Northings: 445151

OS Grid: SE288451

Mapcode National: GBR KRJB.M2

Mapcode Global: WHC8Z.Z6C6

Entry Name: The Nunnery

Location: Arthington, Leeds, LS21

County: Leeds

Parish: Arthington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Listing Date: 6 February 1952

Last Amended: 7 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433701

Source ID: 1262941

Listing Text

ARTHINGTON ARTHINGTON LANE
SE 24 NE
LS21 (north side)
2/89 The Nunnery (Formerly
6th February 1952 listed as "Arthington
Nunnery")
GV II*

House, incorporating some fabric of former nunnery. Dated 1585 in spandrel
of door; altered and restored. Coursed squared sandstone with quoins, stone
slate roof. T-plan formed by 3-unit front range with continuous outshut and
short rear wing. Three storeys; main chimney stack at junction of 1st and
2nd bays, and slightly to the left of this a moulded Tudor-arched outer
doorway with shields in the spandrels inscribed:
" T : B " (left) and " I : B " (right);
1585
above this doorway a shallow canted oriel rising through 2 storeys, with
recessed mullioned windows of 1 + 3 + 1 lights on each level; to the left,
similar mullioned windows of 5 lights on each floor; to the right king-
mull ion windows of 5 + 5 and 4 + 4 lights on each floor, and in addition a
small light on each upper floor in line with the chimney stack (stair
windows: see below). Large chimney stack on ridge with 2 diagonal flues,
another diagonal chimney to an external stack at the right hand gable; gable
copings, with apex finial on left gable. The left return wall has a 5-light
window on each floor of the main range, a 2-and a 3-light window to the
outshut, and a single-light window near the apex. The right-hand wall has
2-light windows on each floor forward of the external chimney stack, and to
the rear 5, 3 and 1-light windows. Rear mostly altered.

Interior: massive round-headed doorways at the front and rear of the 1st bay
in line with the front door, indicating former through-passage; similar
archway through rear of stack between 1st and 2nd units; in centre room, a
very large Tudor-arched fireplace with chamfered surround (this room formerly
single-storey, now open to 1st storey, and gallery inserted); at 1st floor
level of this part, a Tudor-arched chamber fireplace, and close to the front
wall an altered doorway opening onto a spiral stone staircase which rises to
the 2nd floor, and formerly higher (probably remains of tower of nunnery);
moulded plaster ceiling decoration in parlour in 3rd room at ground floor; in
rear wall at 2nd floor, 2 Tudor-arched doorways (one blocked) which appear to
have been formerly external.


Listing NGR: SE2887845151

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.