This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4265 / 51°25'35"N
Longitude: -0.3657 / 0°21'56"W
OS Eastings: 513719
OS Northings: 170985
OS Grid: TQ137709
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.VWP
Mapcode Global: VHFTS.MD0T
Entry Name: Monument at South-Eastern End of General Roy's Survey Base
Listing Date: 25 May 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432627
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW12
District: Richmond upon Thames
London Borough Ward: Hampton North
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Hampton Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 17 SW ROY GROVE, Hampton
22/3/3 Monument at south-eastern end of
General Roy's survey base
Cast-iron cannon monument, installed 1791 to mark the south-eastern end of the baseline measured by General Roy in 1784 across Hounslow Heath, from King's Arbour to Hampton Poor House, which is now taken to be the origin of the Ordnance Survey. Roy originally marked his line by wooden posts, but in 1791 two guns were selected at Woolwich 'from amongst those which had been condemned as unfit for the public service'. The cannon is some nine feet long, the lower six feet of which are buried in the ground. Near the cannon is a plaque which reads as follows:
'This tablet was affixed in 1926 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Major General William Roy FRS, born 4th May 1726 - died 1st July 1790. He conceived the idea of carrying out the triangulation of this country and of constructing a complete and accurate map and thereby laid the foundation of the Ordnance Survey. This gun marks the SE terminal of the base which was measured in 1784, under the supervision of General Roy, as part of the operations for determining the relative positions of the Greenwich and Paris Observatories. This measurement was rendered possible by the munificence of HM King George III, who inspected the work on 21st August 1784. The base was measured again in 1791, by Captain Mudge, as the commencement of the principal triangulation of Great Britain. Length of base - reduced to MGL - as measured by Roy - 27404.01 feet, as measured by Mudge - 27404.24 feet, as determined by Clarke in 1858 in terms of the the Ordnance Survey Standard 02 - 27406.19 feet.'
Source: Captain William Mudge and Isaac Dalby, An Account of the Operations Carried on for Accomplishing a Trigonometric Survey of England and Wales, vol. I, 1799, p.223.
The monument at the north-west end of General's Roy's baseline is listed under Northern Perimeter Road, Heathrow Airport, in the London Borough of Hillingdon.
Listing NGR: TQ1371970985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings