History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Highfield Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Newmarket, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2516 / 52°15'5"N

Longitude: 0.4159 / 0°24'57"E

OS Eastings: 565008

OS Northings: 264242

OS Grid: TL650642

Mapcode National: GBR N9R.XMK

Mapcode Global: VHJGJ.5N6S

Entry Name: Highfield Stables

Location: Newmarket, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Parish: Newmarket

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Listing Date: 19 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431612

Source ID: 1263720

Listing Text

TL66SE NEWMARKET BURY ROAD
(north west side)

5/10011 Highfleld Stables

GV II


Racehorse training stables. Formerly Bedford Lodge Stables attached to Bedford Lodge, now
Bedford Lodge Hotel, Bury Road [qv]. A small part of the stables now used as an outbuilding of
Bedford Lodge Hotel. Main stable range dated 1864. For Joseph Joel Dawson, racehorse trainer.
Later C19 stable ranges at rear. Gault brick in Flemish bond, the main range with contrasting red
brick dressings and stone details; slate hipped roofs, lead roof on clock tower. Italianate style.
PLAN: a long main range has a central cross-passage to stable yard with ranges of stables at left
hand end of yard. In the central section of main range four cage boxes on each side of cross-passage
with loft storey above, and a slightly recessed, single storey wing to each side; originally each wing
contained five loose boxes, but three boxes at the end of the left hand wing now part of
outbuilding attached to Bedford Lodge Hotel. At rear of main range, facing into the stable yard,
a lean-to range of four loose boxes and tack room to left, and opposite a range of loose boxes with
added range of cage boxes at rear. EXTERIOR: main range of two storeys and single storey wings
has symmetrical front with a projecting central bay and tall clock tower in two stages above. Semi-
circular archway with timber doorcase and double doors with radiating lights in the heads. Inset
above a stone cornice, the clock tower with quoin strips in alternating blocks of red and gault
brickwork, the lower stage capped by a moulded stone cornice, and the upper stage crowned by
a pyramidal roof with eaves supported by timber brackets, and on the apex of the roof large,
ornate, wrought iron weather vane. On lower stage an apron panel framing a metal plaque
inscribed with date and initials JD flanking an escutcheon in relief, and an arched sash above; in
the upper stage on each side of tower a similar arched sash and above each sash a circular opening
in red brick with a raised, tripartite keyblock set with keystone; the circular openings frame clock
faces to front and rear and timber louvres on the sides. On each side the two storey front has a brick
eaves cornice, and raised quoin strip at each end; in each side a central doorway with is framed by
rusticated brick pilasters with brick caps, and a brick segmental arch springing from a moulded
brick string course at first floor level; within each doorway a tall rectangular overlight and a vertical
boarded stable door; to either side of both doorways a 3/3 sash; above a horizontal sash with
glazing bars; all the sashes in openings with cambered brick-arched heads and projecting stone sills.
The single storey wing to right has five stable doors to loose boxes in openings with overlights, and
in the wing to left two stable doors in similar openings. Stable ranges facing yard have stable doors
with horizontal sliding sashes in overlights in openings with cambered heads and metal roof vents.
INTERIOR: in the main range the passages to the cage boxes are entered from outer doorways
and from doorways in the side walls of the cross passage; cage boxes with boarded fronts and doors
with iron grilles above are set between timber posts supporting lateral first floor beams, with timber
partitions lined with hoop-iron strapping. In ranges facing yard at rear partitions between boxes
in rear range have fumed timber balustrading at high level. HISTORY: Bedford Lodge and its
former racehorse training stables were built for the fifth and sixth Dukes of Bedford and sold in
1861 by the seventh duke. The estate was purchased by Sir Joseph Hawley who sold it on to the
Duke of Bedford's former trainer, William Butler. Butler demolished the original stabling and sold
the Lodge to Joseph Dawson who built main range of stables adjoining the Lodge. Dawson, an
important innovative trainer, developed the training of two year old horses for racing, and
introduced new feeding methods with great success at the stables. When he died in 1880 the Lodge
and Stables were bought by the racehorse manager Captain J. O. Machell who, in 1884 leased them
to the notorious gentleman jockey and owner, George Alexander Baird. After Baird's death in
1893 they were sold to the Earl of Derby. When Bedford Lodge became a hotel in the 1920s, the
trainer Harvey Leader renamed the Stables 'Shalfleet', then, in 1960, formed new stables at the
north east end of the site, for which he retained the name Shalfleet Stables, while his former
accommodation was re-named Highfield Stables when occupied by the trainer Fred Winter in
1963.


Listing NGR: TL6500864242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.