Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9255 / 52°55'31"N
Longitude: -1.2165 / 1°12'59"W
OS Eastings: 452766
OS Northings: 336744
OS Grid: SK527367
Mapcode National: GBR 8HV.R6L
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.8QYL
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Location: Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG9
Locality: Beeston West
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 14 April 1987
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429329
Source ID: 1263823
SK 5236 NE BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD CHURCH STREET
Church of St John the
6/8 Baptist (formerly listed
18.lO.49 as Parish Church of St John)
Parish church. Chancel C15, remainder rebuilt 1842 by Scott and
Moffatt. Enlarged 1876 by C. H. Thornton. Organ chamber 1876.
Vestry 1897. C15 Perpendicular style. Pecked ashlar. Gabled
and lean-to slate and patterned tile roofs. Moulded plinth and
sill band. Moulded eaves band with bosses and masks.
Crenellated parapets. Decorated ridge. Coped gables with
crosses. Windows are C15 style lancets with hood moulds. South
west tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north
transept, vestries. Buttressed south west tower, 4 stages, has
higher buttressed octagonal stair turret at south west corner. 3
string courses. First stage has to south moulded doorway with
flanking shafts, Arms in spandrels and hood mould. Second stage
has to south a cusped Decorated double lancet. Third stage has on
each side a single lancet. Fourth stage has on each side 2
double lancet louvred openings. All openings have hood moulds.
Stair turret has a single light on each stage on alternate sides.
Nave west end has 5 light lancet with panel tracery. To left,
canted stair turret and door. Above, angel boss at top of eaves
band. Clerestory, 6 bays, has on each side 3 buttresses and
dwarf corner buttresses. South side has 4 and north side 6
square headed double lancets. East gable has small double lancet
and above, angel boss. Chancel, 3 bays, has to north, to east,
C15 double lancet with panel tracery. East end has a pair of
diagonal buttresses and transomed 5 light lancet with panel
tracery and segmental head. South side has central buttress and
off-centre cusped doorway, C15, with C17 plank door. Flanked by
single C19 double lancets with panel tracery and square headed
reveals. Choir vestry has to north a pair of diagonal buttresses
and late C14 style double lancet. Inscribed stone commemorating
Victoria's Jubilee, 1898. East side, 2 bays, has central
buttress and off-centre moulded doorway with hood mould and mask
stops. Above, 2 C15 style double lancets with panel tracery and
square headed reveals. Vestry in return angle has to north a
pair of corner buttresses and a double lancet with square headed
reveal. Choir vestry to east, 3 bays, has 4 centred arched door
flanked by single double lancets, Tower chamber forming south
porch has chamfered and rebated inner door with hanging lamp on
bracket. Nave arcades, 6 bays, have clustered shafts with
moulded bases and lobed capitals. Moulded arches have hood
moulds and mask stops. Clerestory has sill band. Hammer beam
roof on foliate corbels. West window has stained glass to John
Watson, 1876. East gable has stained glass window c.1858.
Chancel has double chamfered and rebated arch flanked to left by
niche with four centred arched head. North side has to left,
opening containing organ. To right, easternmost window has
stained glass, 1859. East end has C14 style traceried reredos,
1880 and stained glass window 1854. South side has to east
cusped ogee headed piscina and matching triple sedilia, C15.
Easternmost stained glass window 1860,westernmost window 1877.
Roof 1876, low pitched with arch braces on corbels. North and
south aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces on corbels.
North aisle west end has stained glass window 1859 and central
north side window by Henry Hughes, 1873. East end has traceried
arch containing C20 War Memorial traceried screen. South aisle
has stained glass window at east end, 1850 and on south side,
stained glass windows 1890, 1858 and 1874, 1893 and at west end,
1878. Vestry has stained glass window 1873. Fittings include
reeded round font, C11, re-set on C14 style base, 1842. Poor box
made from beam end with iron binding inscribed "W.A. E.B. C.W.
1684". Part of altar rail with balusters, late C17. Moulded and
pierced stalls and desks, 1875. Benches mid C19. Eagle lectern,
1875. Panelled alabaster pulpit on stem, 1885. Memorials
include marble tablet with apron and pediment, 1797, Classical
style marble and slate tablets 1809, 1821, 1914, 1915. Marble
and slate tablet by Walkers, Nottingham, 1862. 2 brasses, C19. 5
C20 memorials. Pair of hatchments, C18. Royal Arms, 1844.
Listing NGR: SK5276636744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings