This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6767 / 50°40'35"N
Longitude: -1.0937 / 1°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 464130
OS Northings: 86723
OS Grid: SZ641867
Mapcode National: GBR BFN.D9C
Mapcode Global: FRA 87L9.3QD
Entry Name: The Chapel, Bembridge School
Listing Date: 9 May 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461773
Location: Bembridge, Isle of Wight, PO35
County: Isle of Wight
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Bembridge Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ 68 NW BEMBRIDGE HILL WAY
2/10005 The Chapel, Bembridge
School chapel. 1931-3; by W.A. Harvey and H.G. Wicks; extended 1961-2. Buff-coloured brick in stretcher bond. Clay plain tile roof. PLAN: Rectangular nave with aisle-posts as the only interruption to one large space. At the liturgical east [west] end an extra bay was added in 1961-2 and at the liturgical west [east] end a tower under which is the entrance with a gallery above. Domestic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Large roof carried down over low aisle walls with big brick buttresses with set-offs between plain 3-light windows with leaded panes. The roof is gabled at the liturgical east end and at the opposite end it is hipped with integral north and south porches clasping the big, slightly battered tower, its plain parapet set back and with plain windows, mostly replaced; the porches and the doorway at the base of the tower have plain round arches. Over the tower doorway a relief in stone of St George and the Dragon, by Alec Miller, 1949.
INTERIOR: The nave is one large space open to the timber queen-post roof structure, with aisle-posts with curved braces to the tie-beams. Brick round arch in the tower with balcony. The pews, like choir-stalls, face inwards. Dado panelling. Many of the fittings and decorations are the work of former members of the school and some stained glass by Edward Woore.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, page 732.
Listing NGR: SZ6413086723
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings