This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1062 / 53°6'22"N
Longitude: -2.0283 / 2°1'42"W
OS Eastings: 398199
OS Northings: 356560
OS Grid: SJ981565
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.B0C
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.T690
Entry Name: Society of Friends Meeting House
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461676
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856NW OVERTON BANK
611-1/4/102 Society of Friends Meeting House
Society of Friends meeting house, apparently purpose built.
c1694. Roughly coursed and squared stone with plain-tiled
roof. L-plan, with advanced wing to left (its gable wall
refronted) containing staircase.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Off-centre door with 16-pane sash window
above, both with flat stone lintels. Main body of meeting
house has 3-window range, but most of the windows now blocked.
Horizontal openings, possibly originally mullioned, with sash
windows of 8 and 12 lights in left-hand windows, the others
blocked. Blocked doorway to left of centre, with heavy
chamfered lintel. Plain string course and quoins to former
window openings. Similar blocked doorway in gable wall, and
blocked 3-light mullioned window to its right. Tall upper
window a later insertion (16-pane sash). Similar window
openings in rear wall, all now sashes with heavy stone heads
and quoins. Coped gables, and moulded string course.
INTERIOR: stone staircase in advanced wing, the former
galleried meeting room now subdivided under the gallery, which
is itself now screened off with wood panelling. Meeting room
has raised dais at one end, with dado panelling.
The meeting house was used by the Labour Church in the late
C19-early C20, and contains murals by Walter Crane which have
been painted over.
Listing NGR: SJ9819956560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings