This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8021 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: -0.0857 / 0°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 532091
OS Northings: 213227
OS Grid: TL320132
Mapcode National: GBR KBJ.WPS
Mapcode Global: VHGPG.GYKW
Entry Name: The Old Pest House
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 9 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461273
Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bengeo Holy Trinity and St Leonard with Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL3213SW BYDE STREET, Bengeo
817-1/15/275 (West side)
12/04/73 The Old Pest House
(Formerly Listed as:
The Pest House)
House, built as isolation hospital. Mid C18, altered and
embellished late C19. Red brick, Flemish bond, old tiled roof
with brick parapeted ends, and half Dutch gables at rear.
Elaborate brick chimneystacks left and right with moulded
bands and oversailing caps. Central raised tilehung
flat-roofed rear extension above lower slope of low swept-slip
EXTERIOR: first floor has outer 3-light, centre 2-light
small-panel iron casement windows with projecting frames and
moulded embattled heads raised on cut profiled corner
brackets. Plat band at first-floor level. Ground floor has 2
projecting moulded mullion and transom oriel bays with
small-paned iron casements, below old tile lean-to roofs, with
curved plastered spandrels below. Central 9-panel hardwood
door, upper 3-panels glazed with leaded light, with tiled
open-gabled and lean-to hood raised on braced brackets. Small
projecting windows on north gable, modern hip-roofed on south.
3 attic dormers at front with small-panel iron casements,
outer 2 with half-hipped, centre with hipped roof.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Old Pest House was built in 1763 as an
isolation hospital against smallpox by Thomas Dimsdale
(1712-1800) who lived at Port Hill House (qv), and the plot
adjoined his garden. Dimsdale purchased an extensive estate in
the area. Port Hill House was known as 'The Inoculation
(Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 166-9; Green
L: Hertford's Past in Pictures: Ware: 1993-: 39, 162; Page FM:
History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 118-120; Hertfordshire
Countryside: Roberts E: Thomas Dimsdale and the Victory over
Smallpox: -1980: 20-1).
Listing NGR: TL3209113227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings