This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3302 / 52°19'48"N
Longitude: 1.5794 / 1°34'45"E
OS Eastings: 643977
OS Northings: 276272
OS Grid: TM439762
Mapcode National: GBR XNY.XT3
Mapcode Global: VHM74.BP9H
Entry Name: Blythburgh and District Hospital
Listing Date: 26 March 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461099
Location: Blythburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP19
District: Suffolk Coastal
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Blythburgh Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 47 NW Blythburgh & District
Formerly known as: Blything Union Workhouse.
Blything Hundred House of Industry, now disused hospital. 1765, by Thomas Fulcher of Debenham. Major alterations 1836 and 1948. Red brick, with gabled and hipped concrete tile roofs. Stacks and attic donners removed. On inner sides, plinth, first floor band, and moulded eaves. Windows are mainly steel casements in segment headed openings. H-plan, with main cross range higher than side ranges. Entrance range, to north, partly dl'1nolished. Main range, 22 windows. Side ranges extend approx 16 windows to south and 5 to north. Main range south front has a slightly projecting centre, 3 bays, under a pediment. Elliptical arched entrance to cross passage. Above, a square-domed wooden cupola with round arched bell openings. On each side, regular fenestration with minor alterations. Side ranges have similar fenestration. At the south end of the east range, a chapel with 2 casements on each side, with Gothic glazing bars. Between the west windows, a similar traceried light inserted in a blocked doorway, and a side wall stack. To left, a door with flat hood on brackets. On the east side, a similar door. On the east side, the main range projects slightly. North side has regular fenestration, reglazed, and segment arched entrance to cross passage. West side has several additions, mid C20. Entrance range, pardy demolished c1947, roughcast and painted, with gabled and hipped concrete tile roof Single ridge stack. Plinth and eaves band. North side has a segment arched carriage entrance, and above, a box donner door and 3 windows to left, all segment headed. 2 casements to right. Interior is said to have original roof structure, with principal rafters, tie beams and collars.
Listing NGR: TM4397776272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings