History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stone House Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Sheffield

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.3823 / 53°22'56"N

Longitude: -1.4703 / 1°28'13"W

OS Eastings: 435331

OS Northings: 387398

OS Grid: SK353873

Mapcode National: GBR 9HK.9C

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.D73X

Entry Name: The Stone House Public House

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Last Amended: 12 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456247

Location: Sheffield, S1

County: Sheffield

Metropolitan District Ward: City

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sheffield

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


784-1/24/170 (South side)
28/06/73 Nos.19 AND 21
The Stone House Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.19 AND 21
Stone House)


Public house. c1840, with late C20 alterations. Ashlar. Roof
not visible. Single brick stack. Plinth, first floor band and
sillband, eaves cornice, shaped blocking course.
2 storeys; 5 window range. Windows are mainly 12 pane sashes.
Projecting single bay centre flanked by single bay recesses,
and beyond, single bay end pavilions. Centre has a window with
moulded surround and bracketed cornice. Recesses have single
windows with eared surrounds. Pavilions have panelled flanking
pilasters and single windows, and are topped with scrolled
pediments. Below the windows, a band inscribed "1795 White &
Sons late Thomas Aldam 1795". Below, remains of rusticated
centre with large late C20 doorway and to its right, a C20
glazing bar shop window with Gothic tracery. To left, a 12
pane sash. Beyond, on either side, the pavilions have
rusticated ground floors with recessed round-headed doorways
with fanlights. Over the doors, round-arched panels inscribed
"The Stone House" and "Private Lodgings".
INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SK3533187398

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.