Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7031 / 52°42'11"N
Longitude: -1.3221 / 1°19'19"W
OS Eastings: 445902
OS Northings: 311926
OS Grid: SK459119
Mapcode National: GBR 7K3.GK6
Mapcode Global: WHDJ1.NBM3
Entry Name: Bardon Park Chapel
Location: Bardon, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67
District: North West Leicestershire
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Listing Date: 16 June 1997
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468725
Source ID: 1271908
SK 41 SE BARDON SHAW LANE
52/4/10007 Bardon Park Chapel
United Reform Chapel. c1694, altered c1830, remodelled 1877, altered c1900. Local rubble stone partly rendered with red brick and ashlar dressings. Stone slate roofs and ashlar coped gable with brick dentilated eaves band. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. South front has central doorway with double plank doors and round-headed ashlar lintel with incised ashlar tympanum with roundel inscribed BARDON CHAPEL 1877. Either side single 2-light windows with wooden plate tracery, double chamfered cills and incised ashlar lintels. Above 3 round-headed windows each 2-light with wooden plate tracery and carved tympani with foliate decoration, linked by chamfered cill and double impost band. Above stepped gable has ashlar kneelers and sexfoil roundel in apex with iron finial. West front has central 2-light window flanked by single light windows with wooden plate tracery, above similar window arrangement. East front has similar fenestration to west front. North front has 2 tall 2-light round headed windows with plate tracery to lower lights.INTERIOR: late C17 wooden octagonal pulpit with raised and fielded panels and fluted Doric pilasters. Late C19 wooden reading desk and pews. Wooden panel fronted gallery to 3 sides supported on slender iron columns c1900. Beneath rear central pew the stump of an original Doric column which supported the original gallery. Wooden panel screen and doors to rear c1830. Slate monuments behind pulpit each to a former rector. The left monument to the Rev Jeremiah Dethick died 1796, and to the right to the Rev Thomas Willis Paterson died 1812. Roof has 1877 wooden structure with below surviving original late C17 roof trusses.
Listing NGR: SK4590211926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings